DS4 is it better than swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chipster

Registered
Reaction score
:confused:

Hi gang, I m a little confused over the DS4. I presently have the Apeks t20 and am looking to upgrade to the Apeks ATX 50/200 not sure which one. Is the DS4 a better first stage? It has no swivel compared to the others, how is this a pro or con. to me it would seem more restrictive to movement.

The dynamic o-ring of a swivel turret is a potential failure point, and some avoid it for that reason.

Mine failed once, leading me to switch to the DS4 for my next reg. I now prefer using dual first-stages whenever possible.

OTOH, swivels can be very useful on stage bottles, or so I'm informed by reliable sources.

Why upgrade from the TX20?? cold water?? That's the only reason I can think of.

The swivel thing is sham. Having said that I don't think it's all that bad for recreational divers.

I just went the same route to upgrade to the ATX 200. The reason.... I test dove a buddies and its like when you drive your buddies 'vette and then get back in your 10 yr old chevy you crave the vette . Its way lighter way easier breathing. Divemaster buddy who also gave it a test drive commented "its just like breathing fresh air without a reg". Check out the review of the ATX 200 they all shine. BTW I live in the rockies and water here at or around 10 deg C is not hard to find in July.

Cherry who is considering Mortgaging the farm to support his new diving habit

:eek:ut:

Cherry. That is why I want to upgrade. If it is that much more enjoyabel to use, why not get it.

How much choice to you actualy have when routing the hoses?

If you are looking to upgrade for breathing performance, you might be disappointed with the ATX50. The T20 uses the UST first stage, which is the unsealed version of the ATX50's DST first stage. The DS4 is a turretless version of the same regulator. The ATX200 uses it's own new ATX200 first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom