Drysuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iv got a Bear Nexgen shell drysuit i bought it for 200$, im using it for commercial diving well school for now, this suit is holding up good altho when doing any work in ill be waring coveralls over my suit , anyways the suit has o insulation but just ware some fleece under it and its perfect. The suit dosnt leek at all and i love it, go with the shell its cheap and does whats its supposed to, keep you dry.

Edit: Im diving in Seattle this waters prity cold but with the undergarmets it comes with it keeps me warm.

Craborn,
Don't wear cotton under the suit - when you start sweating the cotton soaks it up and you start getting cold - in the UK quit a few divers use a wicking layer called a Xerotherm. The material it uses I think is Polartec and this soaks up the sweat and I suspect it would be good for you when it gets warm in your neck of the woods ie you might be able to dispense with a thick undersuit and just use the Polartec.
Personally in your shoes I'd be asking the Florida Cave divers what they use under their drysuits (those that use drysuits anyway).

I bought a DUI CLX 450 last year, very durable shell. Do your homework on the pricing. I bought mine from Rex Dive and their price was about 33% off the retail price. Here is their web address:

http://www.rexdive.com

Is it worth is to get a pee valve in a drysuit? I stay in the water all day when we have classes at the lake. There is not a bathroom at the site. It is about 50 yards up the road. I am thinking I want one but I do not know anything about them. Thanks, for the advice. Clay

I've found that a suit that uses Rock Boots , is much easier to use , than one that
has attached boots. With attached boots, you can get air around the feet, with Rock
Boots , you don't.

__

DeBulmer
Thanks for the advice I am trying to learn all I can before I order one. This is a large investment. CLay

I recently bought a DUI TLS Signature. Custom fit with zip seals and a "Big H" Pvalve added. I dont remember much about the first dive I made in the suit, I was paying way too much attention to my bouyancy and making sure air purged out of my sholder. I did notice that I couldnt arch my back very much so it was hard to look up (parallel with the bottom) so I swam around looking down. The second dive was great in all aspects, I wasn't so paranoid about the suit, I put the waist band of my bp a little lower so it didn't restrict the drysuit from letting me move. I actually tried to get in a feet up attitude, and....nothing. Just like being in my wetsuit. I don't know if it was because I was wearing gators, or if rock boots had something to do with it, but no problems with floaty feet. Then again with my big ol size 16 feet, my legs have always been negative. I used my P valve on the second dive, ok I was a bit nervous about that, there was a bit of backpressure at first but then all flowed well I didn't feel wet. I think the Pvalve is a big plus and ablsolutely worth the extra $$ My 3rd and 4th dives I didn't get to experiment much due to major current, but the my next dives Im going to try without the gators.
I have seen other people on dive boats getting ready with the dry suits and I always thought "what a pain in the @$$!, I'll never get a drysuit" With my custom fit, my suit is even easier to put on than my custom fit wetsuit wich is like getting dressed in the morning! The only thing difficult about donning the DS is how to discreetly attatch your plumbing to .... your plumbing :) The only bad thing about removing the DS is the plumbing from the Pvalve doesnt completely drain, it is actually filled with fluid after its initial use of the diveing day and will not completly drain untill it is disconected from...your plumbing:). You can do this easily in the head, but then the excess fluid runs out of the bolt and down the ouside of your DS leg. You also have to be carefull of any excess fluids in the cathater.
I do have one complaint about my DS, I didnt spend the extra $70 to get a second pocket on my left thigh...

i have always used 7mm neoprene seatux gator tech dry suits. with a relief zipper. these are made locally in bc. i commercial urchin dive here on the east coats from october until may and with all those spiney critters the punture resistant material is superb. i put over 700 dives on a suit per year and they usualy survive for 2 years of commercial work. if your just a weekend warrior then this suit will last you for years. the best thing i enjoy about these sea tux suits is the stretchyness of the neoprene. the punture resistant covering allows the suit to stretch and pratically eliminates pinches. one thing i would recommend in buying any drysuit is custom fit. depending on the temps you plan pon diving in i went for custom fit/loosefit when i ordered mine which allows you to add more clothing for extra warmth. my last dive was in 40 feet of water at a temp of 36degreesF. cold on the exposed lips and cheeks but everything else was toasty. just a thought but i have had 5 of these suits in the last 10 years and i wouldnt have any other suit.

I always suggest people buy a good dry suit book like DRY SUIT DIVING by Dick Long as well as asking questions here on the board. Your LDS should have it or you can easily find it on the web for about 15-20 bucks. This book will answer all of your questions from start to finish including questions you may have about weighting, undies, and other questions you don't even think about until you own your dry suit. I still refer to it from time to time as it also covers care and repair questions as well. Good luck with your purchase!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom