Drysuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Hey looking to buy a drysuit dont know much about them. Should i go with a shell or neoprene. What is a good cheaper drysuit what do you guys say i should look into you guys are the experts :) cheers
Chris

If you're on a budget look at the suits from Bare. The Nexgen suit might be what you're looking for.

The shell/neoprene thing has been discussed a lot. A quick summary is this:

Thick neoprene (7mm) : very buoyant, rugged, bad buoyancy qualities

Crushed neoprene (2-4mm): still surprisingly buoyant, extremely tough, adequate buoyancy characteristics.

Shell suits (trilaminat etc): no insulation = thick undersuit needed, neutrally buoyant, relatively more prone to develop leaks than neoprene suits, excellent buoyancy characteristics.

General consensus is to steer away from thick neoprene suits. Most divers prefer the buoyancy characteristics of the shell suits. I personally have had both shell and crushed neoprene suits and I think either of these are perfectly ok.

R..

No expert here...

Check the fit 1st. Size does matter ...even the same manufacturer has a slightly different cut/fit in different material suits.

Take into consideration average water temps you will be diving in and what type of diving you'll be doing.

Personally I prefer a shell. Nice and light weight, you control undergarment thickness depending on water temp, for the most part a little lower on cost, dries fast.

just my 2cents

Mike

i would like to add a couple of question to this please. If you have a pee valve on a drysuit. Can you dive without using it or would it leak. Second, What temp of water can you dive in a shell suit with just a pair of warm ups and a tee shirt on before you have to get into wearing all of the warm fleece and stuff. Thanks for the advice.

craborn:
i would like to add a couple of question to this please. If you have a pee valve on a drysuit. Can you dive without using it or would it leak.

It won't leak.

Second, What temp of water can you dive in a shell suit with just a pair of warm ups and a tee shirt on before you have to get into wearing all of the warm fleece and stuff. Thanks for the advice.

My guess is about 18C. Shell suits have *zero* insulation so you always need to wear something in it.

R..

I want my suit to be lightweight and for tech diving. Undergarments ill buy from diverite or something like that really warm i love to be really warm plus i can throw some of my normal clothing with that ill be rocking. I think ima go with a whites shell suit less you know better

I have only wore one drysuit at a DUI demonstration. I want one and I am saving for one. I am like you, I do not know what to get. I want a shell because I want to be confortable and warm. I am glad you posted this, I am trying to read all I can about them. Clay

ChrisCrash:
I want my suit to be lightweight and for tech diving. Undergarments ill buy from diverite or something like that really warm i love to be really warm plus i can throw some of my normal clothing with that ill be rocking. I think ima go with a whites shell suit less you know better

For tek diving, especially deep diving, you'll want a shell suit. I can't advise you about the Whites suits but from what I hear they have a good reputation.

R..

I just got in the pool for the first time last night with my DUI Flx 50-50. I really like the suit. It seems to be easy to control the amount of air in the suit as well as maintain general trim. I am going to have to practice with it much more, but I think I'm starting off well.

The Flx 50-50 is a crushed neoprene lower half and a trilam upper half. I like it because the neoprene is cut pretty tight (it's a custom suit) so I shouldn't have major air control problems with the legs. With enough air in the suit to get inverted and stick my legs to the top of the water, it was still pretty easy to get right side up and dump the extra air. The trilam upper is nice and gives me a good range of mobility. It's also easy to self-don the suit. After two hours in the pool, puttering around between 0 and 10 feet, I got out and there was not a drop of water inside the suit. I was a little sweaty under my undergarment, but that was to be expected given the temperature in the pool.

I'll know more after diving it in Monterey next weekend, but as far as I'm concerned, this drysuit was a great choice.

I just purchased the BARE XCD2 Tech drysuit, a 2mm compressed neoprene. Hopefully I can begin diving it within the next few weeks and give you some feedback on this particular model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom