Drysuit zipper maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My drysuit has 250 dives on it and the zipper is starting to leak. I have diligently lubricated the metal zipper teeth to make it glide easily since the suit was new. The wear is occurring on the plastic section that the zipper forces together to form the seal. I have never intentionally lubricated this area. Have I been remiss or is the lube restricted to the metal area?

BTW, I own a BARE compressed neo suit.

Developing a leak after 250 dives on the zipper may be a little earlier than average, but not necessarily a result of not lubing the inside teeth or lubing the sealing fabric. Some manufacturers just say to keep the inside teeth free of sand, etc. Others recommend a liquid lube on the inside teeth and paraffin wax on the outside teeth. That's what I usually do.

From what I've seen, leaks often develop in an area of the zipper subject to more bending or stress and often involve some cracking and weakening of the sealing fabric.

In my diagonal front zippers, the leaks have always occurred in the area where the zipper passes under my weight belt. To reduce the extra stress when walking while wearing the weightbelt, I use a weight belt harness.

Still, I think just bending at the waist continues to cause a lot of stress on the diagonal front zipper.

Is yours a diagonal front zipper, by chance?

Dave C

Developing a leak after 250 dives on the zipper may be a little earlier than average, but not necessarily a result of not lubing the inside teeth or lubing the sealing fabric.

Is yours a diagonal front zipper, by chance?

Dave C

It is a front zip. I assume the rear zippers last longer?

Is 250 dives really a low average for zippers? I have read averages as low as 100.

It is a front zip. I assume the rear zippers last longer?

Is 250 dives really a low average for zippers? I have read averages as low as 100.

Rear zippers tend to last longer reportedly.

I've only used diagonal front zippers and my records indicate my first signs of leaks occurred around 230 dives in one case and 300 dives in the other. I seem to remember some ScubaBoard discussions indicating people often got better longevity.

My zippers might not have lasted as long because almost all my dives are shore dives. Plus, I've usually got about 38 pounds on my weightbelt and sometimes have a 75-yard walk to the water.

My zipper life improved after I began using a weight harness, since it transferred the load to the shoulders when upright. Previously, the zipper needed to be cinched tight to stay in place while walking, obviously adding stress to the zipper. The eventual leaks have always occurred right where the weightbelt crosses the zipper.

Longevity also improved since I've been avoiding extra zippings and unzippings, such as when lubing. For a number of years, I've only lubed the zipper during normal operation, timing it with donning and doffing or rinsing. IMHO, every transit of the zipper adds wear and tear, so I avoid them whenever possible now. Man, am I CHEAP! I'll even admit to placing a towel under a zipper leak to get more time before REALLY needing to replace it! :D

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom