Drysuit & Weight systems - Particular preferences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melicertes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
As said before - I'm new to DS diving and wish to know if there are any particular reasons why I should not continue to use my normal weight belt, aside from compensating appropriately for more/less weight, when I start using my new ds. Any pro/con arguments for/against weight belts that I'm not aware of? :confused:

I dive with a 15lb belt of shot weight if I'm using my AL80's, and don't use any weight if I'm using double LP112's. With the AL80 I barely sink down in some higher flow springs, but with the LP112's, I sink like a rock!

As said before - I'm new to DS diving and wish to know if there are any particular reasons why I should not continue to use my normal weight belt, aside from compensating appropriately for more/less weight, when I start using my new ds. Any pro/con arguments for/against weight belts that I'm not aware of? :confused:

Personal preference. What ever you feel comfortable with.

I see alot of answers like this. They are not very helpful. Do people do this to get point counts up or something??

I think he meant if you like a weight belt, use a weight belt. If you like weight integrated BCs then use one of them.

Wetsuit or drysuit shouldn't change what your preference is. you will probably require some more weight for the drysuit.

One thing to consider with a dry suit and the under garments you have compression issues at depth. This causes the weight belt to slip down. I prefer integrated for this reason. A couple of divers I go with use the DUI suspender style, this kept them from buying a new BC with an integrated weight system

TG

One thing to consider with a dry suit and the under garments you have compression issues at depth. This causes the weight belt to slip down. I prefer integrated for this reason. A couple of divers I go with use the DUI suspender style, this kept them from buying a new BC with an integrated weight system

TG

The same thing happens with a wetsuit. It shouldn't matter if you pur your weight belt on tight enough. If you can't handle that, there is always depth compensating buckles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom