Drysuit weight approximation formula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a rough formula to figure out drysuit vs. wetsuit weight needs? Just as a starting point. Like, If I use 6#s in a three mil wetsuit with an AL 80, around how much would need in a drytsuit with a 100 weight undergarment.

Salt water or fresh? Shell suit or Neoprene? The rule of thumb is 10% of body weight + 5lbs with lightweight unders and a shell suit. Add 5 lbs more if the drysuit's neoprene. Compressed/crushed neoprene, maybe 2 lbs instead of adding 5. Add a couple of pounds if you're diving salt water. Obviously, do a pool check to confirm before doing a real dive.

The rule of thumb also suggests that you weigh 120 lbs (5% of body weight for a 3mm suit), so take that for what it's worth.

I'd say somewhere between 6 and 30 pounds.

It's basically impossible to come up with a formula of any sort. You just have to get in the water and try it out.

It also depends on what type of BC you're using. With my bp/w (AL bp), crushed neoprene DS, in fresh water, with an AL80, I add about 12 pounds. But I'm a sinker.

Not really. I'd guess somewhere between 12 and 24 pounds.

jonnythan:
Not really. I'd guess somewhere between 12 and 24 pounds.

That indicates a ballpark ratio. That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

OK, after seeing what I have writ, it seems I'm the one who should come up with the "ballpark" ratio.

The 10% of body weight plus 5 pounds is almost exactly what I use, I did not know this foumula but it is within 1 pound of what I am able to get down with. I have tried to go to the 10% only and have difficulty getting down. I use a fleece DUI and a DUI FLX50/50 and a Ranger LTD.

Seems like a good estimate

Hmmmm, interesting formula. It's also within a pound or so of what I use with my DUI CF200 and 200 gram fleece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom