Drysuit Undies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was really resistant to spending the big bucks on the dry suit undies and tried a bunch of different configurations of poly pro and fleece that I already owned.

I finally broke down two weeks ago and bought the Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme. I have to admit, it's pretty nice.

I dove with cold weather tops and bottoms when I was getting certified for the DS but I could not stand it since it was a top and a bottom they would get twisted and pulled out of wack, and it drove me a little crazy. I then puchased a Whites MK2 and really liked it. It has worked well for me into the mid 50's. I just purchased a Antartica 4-way stretch from THE ebay guy (Rondell). I have not dove the thing yet but it is really nice. I wanted something that was a little warmer, as I do quite a bit of diving in water that is in the 40's. I was using my MK2 with a layer of Poly Pro cold weather undies under it, but I think this will be much better...

Phil

Those 4 way suits on ebay look great and are fairly economical. A lot cheaper than the suits I have been looking at. Thanks.

I have 3 suits. Andy's 200 (old but works for water in the high 50's) A Bare under suit I am not sure of the model, but does OK in the mid 50's temps, and lastly a fourth element two-piece arctic which works well down to the high forties. I like the two piece suit the best as it gives good articulation to reach back to work with valves better than my jumpsuit type undergarments. I have only have 10 dives on the fourth element suit, but it has never bunched up or created any coverage issues. I can also say it keeps you warm when wet as I had a minor leak on one dive in the low 50 degree temperature range.

Andys 35D fleece jumpsuit. Works fine for year round AK for me.

In Virginia ponds, sweatpants and cotton shirt worked well.

Just depends on where you are diving and what you are doing.

Whites MK3 and the MK2 are very well made, and have stretch fabric on all the joints and otherwise restrictive places. There is also a "comfort" flap on the fanny of the MK3.
The MK3 is very warm.

All the best,
Geoff

The MK2 also has the "comfort flap."

Argon can also make a huge difference ...

I did my first dive with my newly aquired argon set-up - huge difference - I went from comfy with a little chill in 47F to warm and toasty, no chill. Under the Mk2 John, I had a pair of shorts and a dri-fit T-Shirt.

Those 4 way suits on ebay look great and are fairly economical. A lot cheaper than the suits I have been looking at. Thanks.

If you do a search in this forum for "Cheap Ebay Undergarments" you will find lots of posts about Rondells undergarments. I was hoping to dive mine this weekend but I do not think I am going to get the chance. From what I have seen of them (4-way stretch, antartica, quilted) all of them look really nice...

Phil

Andys 35D fleece jumpsuit. Works fine for year round AK for me.

In Virginia ponds, sweatpants and cotton shirt worked well.

Just depends on where you are diving and what you are doing.

Water temp here in the winter dips into the 30's and 40's

Depending upon the water temp, I wear a variety of undies by themselves or in combo.

EVERYTHING is made of a material that will still insulate if it's wet. I don't wear anything cotton or regular street clothes.

I also use layering as well. This helps to adjustmy comfort level by either peeling off a layer or adding a layer on subsequent dives.

The only thing that I regularly wear are insulated socks. I purchased a couple pair of socks that are sold to kayakers. I carry a spare pair socks becasue my feet tend to sweat. Nothing will make you more miserable than cold-wet feet.

Everyone else must be better at keeping warm than I. I start with a base layer of fleece, basically a sweat shirt and fleece pants, then hiking socks. Followed up with DUI 400 gram thinsulate one piece suit and booties. Finally a CF 200 helps keep the water out. Dry gloves for the hands keep them warm enough. One of the most important things is a hood to keep the head warm. Otter Bay 12mm hood is the best out there and considered a must have by most people that consistently dive. 80 minute dives in 45 degree water are no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom