Drysuit Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burnboy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just signed up to take a drysuit class in a week and a half. My certification dives are going to be in 53 degree water and I am concerned about what I should wear for undergarments. The instructor told me that something like the middle layer of ski clothes work well but I have nothing like it. He also showed me some nice thinsulate underware but I can't afford it. I am hoping you guys have some ideas for something that I might have at home or that is less the $30

Any help is appreciated

I don't think 53F is that bad. If that's the bottom temp, I would just wear some medium weight polypro long underwear and maybe sweat pants and a lightweight wool sweater (if I didn't have my 200g Bare underwear). This is assuming a recreational dive too. For deco stuff, I always wear my good insulation to protect against a flooded suit.

I think I paid $190 for my Bare underwear, and I use it for everything.

Good luck in your course.

Mike

Originally posted by burnboy
I am hoping you guys have some ideas for something that I might have at home or that is less the $30

Any help is appreciated
No cotton....
I know a gal who is making polartech undergarments for divers but you are looking at more than $30.... maybe even three times that!

If I do this reguarly I will probably break down and spend lots of money. Right now I am a poor college student who almost went broke spending the money for the course and is looking for an inexpensive alternative.

Originally posted by burnboy
Right now I am a poor college student who almost went broke spending the money for the course and is looking for an inexpensive alternative.
Local thrift store.... buy some used ski stuff....

Go to Walmart and see if they are still selling heavy military weight polypropelene (SP?) long underwear. That is some pretty warm stuff and isn't too expensive. You can go to Cabelas and get some long underwear too.

www.cabelas.com

Good luck,

Mike

hi ya Burnboy:

I'll agree with Lost Yooper on this one.
I bought a pair on poly fabric top & bottoms that are fleece lined inside and used them several time, and they really were quite warm & comfortable... Also did a good job of wicking away the moisture... I quess i paid about 65 bucks for both......

Good luck....:approve:

I've bought my wife $5000 worth of sewing machines, she didn't charge me anything to make my Polar Tech underwear. The Polar Tech did cost me around $15. Patagonia Long underwear ( polypropelene) underneath. I was HOT.

good luck don O

Originally posted by donooo
I've bought my wife $5000 worth of sewing machines, she didn't charge me anything to make my Polar Tech underwear.
Don...
You're a smart one.... :wink:

Uncle Pug -

Now that I turned you on to Malden Mills are you gonna do something in a cute print or stick with the solids ? See, my next set will cost me about the same. How many sets do you think I need to get my 5K back ?

cold in the mountains ,,,,,,,, don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom