drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claudehl: In my case I went from the poly shell-thinsulate 400 gram to the Artic. Ended up using about 2 lbs less with the Artic. One additional benefit is the condensation is absorbed and not noticed while diving. The poly let it gather into droplets and kept it against my skin. Still there but the make up of the 4th Element material is drawn away from the skin.

The MK2 came with my Fusion Bullet. I have only done 4 dives with it so far. The temps were in the low-mid 40s. I also wear a layer underneath, Walmart's version of UnderArmour. There is some condensation with it, mostly sweat, never did get cold. I am happy with it so far. :)

4th Element has the best undies out there. Polartec is ideal for undergarment usage and what we need to do is look at the Military and skiers. They're in cold weather for extended periods of time and need the least amount of bulk with the greatest amount of mobility. Polartec has been the answer for the last 30 years. I use REI's polartec underwear because I'm too cheap to spend the $350 on 4th Element. I sewed a crotch strap into the top piece as well as thumb hooks and stirrups and have been fine. Dove it in high 40's yesterday for an hour and was fine. Midweight on my legs, heavyweight on the top.
If you're spending the money the Arctic is the way to go

I have dived the 4th Element Arctic, and in my opinion, it was not anywhere near as warm as either the Mk3 or the Weezle. I have NOT tried the SubX, but I have heard from people who have, that it is warm but EXTREMELY floaty (adding in the neighborhood of about 4 lbs from a Weezle -- I'm not up for that.)

I dive Weezle's and love them, but a friend used to dive Weezle and went to Fourth Element and highly recommends them, so that's what I'll be trying next time. If you've heard about the flood tests with Weezle (completely flooding your suit), it's true. I flooded mine intentionally while teaching a rescue class (sitting still on the surface observing "victims") in sub 40 degree air temperatures and low 40 degree water temps and was comfortable for over an hour.

Back
Top Bottom