Drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there a chart anywhere for drysuit undergarments and the temperature water they should be used in?

I just got a used 5mm compressed neoprene suit. It came with a 100gm flece suit and a vest.

Try going to Bare-wetsuits.com.
Somewhere in their website is a nice overlap chart of recommended undergarments based on ambient water temps.

Ahhhh . . .
. . . better still, here is the web page:

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/rt_underwearchart.aspx

the K

I also always suggest Dick Long's Dry Suit Diving book. It has a very comprehensive section on undergarments including a chart like the bare one mentioned above. It of course also covers dry suit diving from a-z like few books on the market do.

All that said, I find those charts to be a bit suspect although a nice try nonetheless. I am always cold while another person may be too warm. Enjoy your new suit and happy warm diving to you!

Your own chart will be the best one, since there are so many variables.

With water temps in the low 40's and comfortable air temps, now is a great time to experiment.

Might want to avoid long deco dives until you get some data, though..... :D

Dave C

dave4868:

With water temps in the low 40's and comfortable air temps, now is a great time to experiment.

Dave C

Sage advice.

the K

scubadobadoo:
I also always suggest Dick Long's Dry Suit Diving book. It has a very comprehensive section on undergarments including a chart like the bare one mentioned above. It of course also covers dry suit diving from a-z like few books on the market do.

All that said, I find those charts to be a bit suspect although a nice try nonetheless. I am always cold while another person may be too warm. Enjoy your new suit and happy warm diving to you!

I read the reviews of the book on Amazon.com, and it sounds like a good one to have, so I ordered it.

dave4868:

Dave C

No Deco dives here. In the future after proper training however....

Unfortunately I can't make my own chart just yet. I have never dived dry, so I plan on taking a course on it first. $99 for the couse doesn't seem like that much, and if could possible keep me alive longer....

mfalco:
No Deco dives here. In the future after proper training however....

Unfortunately I can't make my own chart just yet. I have never dived dry, so I plan on taking a course on it first. $99 for the couse doesn't seem like that much, and if could possible keep me alive longer....

Good point. :)

Certainly be worth the money then.

I use combinations of Polartec for most of my dives from 40 degrees to 80 degrees.

If it helps at all, 100 weight Polartec would be what I would wear for 65 degrees and above.

Does your 5mm compressed neoprene provide much thermal protection itself?

My variables are: trilam suit, long low-activity dives, low metabolism (tend to get cold easily).

For water in the 50's, I'd need at least three times that much fleece (300 or more).

In the 40's, about four times that much (400 or more).

If you're interested in the excruciating details of my insulation/temp "chart", I had a nice discussion a while back with Rick Inman:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2603629&postcount=12

and

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2608080&postcount=16

I'm sure you'll enjoy diving dry!

Kindest regards.

Dave C

I think the neoprene provides a little more insulation than a trilam suit does. It sounds to me like you get alot colder than I do. For water in the 50's I'm fine with a 7/5 wetsuit.

I think I'll ask the owner of the dive shop his opinion. Then, as suggested try out different undergarments in different temps, to make my own chart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom