Drysuit Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decompressionable

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm taking my drysuit class OW tomorrow at a quarry in 40 degree weather. My instructor says I only need something underneath to wick away the sweat, but my gut tells me that I going to be freezing my ass off if I don't wear something more insulated.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much! I really enjoy this forum and all the help you guys have already offered me!

What kind of drysuit are you using?

If it's a trilam drysuit you'll freeze. Sweats will do. I enjoy my ski attire (fleece) under my trilam.

What is the water temp?
What type of suit?
How long a dive?

With a trilam, I do fine in 72 degree or warmer water with a trilam and only light polypro fleece underwear (like the ones sold at Cabelas, Gander mountain etc. The same also works great in extremely cold water (below 40 degrees) in a 7mm Neoprene drysuit.

In 55-60 degree water however a 400g thinsulate undergarment is not overkill in a trilam and it is a little cold in extremely cold water (below 40 degrees) in the same trilam suit.

i use the "polartec" heavy thermals from bass pro shops... you can buy the tops and bottoms seperate. gives enough personal warmth and cushion to move the air... don't wear too much or you'll have trouble moving around in the drysuit.

good head protection and good drygloves are really important, too...

use more weight and add extra air, too, unless you have access to argon!

good luck!

--c

I heard somewhere that Polartec loses all of its thermal insulation once it's wet. I'm not sure I buy that since I've been diving a Polartec ug that gets pretty damp due to a large neck seal, but is this something that's generally true?

mine is always dry... even with sweat or condensation.

i think that could be "thermasilk" that loses it's insulation... from what i've seen, and from the thermasilk products that i've tried, they work great for keeping the cold, away from your skin, like under a motorcycle helmet, but any mosture gets the whole thing soaking... (just my experience...)

i have a medium and a heavy weight set of tops and bottoms, and am always toasty! when i go ice diving next month, i'll actually use my white's drysuit undergarment for the extra insulation; yes, they work that good, but never be in 34* water, yet, so will double up just to keep warm...

--c

mine is always dry... even with sweat or condensation.

i think that could be "thermasilk" that loses it's insulation...

The polartec claim was stated in this incredibly funny-cause-its-so-bad dvd that came with my drysuit. I think they were talking more about flooded suits than condensation.

But yeah, I used to wear thermasilk liners under the undergarments, and those were great at conserving heat, not so great at wicking moisture :/

I wear a set of pretty thin polypro long underwear, separate top and bottom, and a set of polarfleece over it, separate top and bottom. I'm plenty warm.

I DO wear the Weezle booties under the drysuit, though, to prevent foot squeeze. I use the Rock Boots option rather than the socks, primarily because where I'm from we do a lot of shore entries from rocky shorelines.

If you're dry you can be pretty warm in some fairly light polarfleece undergarments. Layers are a good idea.

Warmvise, we need to know the WATER temperature! Air temperature is only relevant to how comfortable you are gearing up. Water temperature determines the undergarment you need.

I dove a trilam suit in Florida with a 200g Thinsulate undergarment, and I was happy as a clam. Water was 69 to 70.

At home, in 55 degree water, I use that undergarment, plus a 200g vest, plus polarfleece leggings and a polarfleece turtleneck, and I'm good for an hour and then I"m cold.

In 45 degree water, I use the undergarment, a HEATED vest, the legging and turtleneck, and argon . . . And a 2 mm compressed neoprene suit.

So it varies wildly, what you need, according to the water temperature in which you are diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom