Drysuit undergarment vs. thermal underwear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have yet to figure out why a purpose made drysuit undergarment is superior to other cold weater clothing.

Is there a great disadvantage to wearing conventional thermal underwear as additional layers over a basic DS undergarment for colder dives?

How about materials? Merino, Poly, Goretex, Polarmax & others?

Thanks.

Steve

it's a bit of a game, no doubt. But, some of the specially made drysuit undies are better than the usual cold weather stuff.

Good drysuit undies are made to wick moisture away from the body, shouldn't hold air in excessive amounts making venting difficult, and it should not absorb water in the event of a suit flood. Additionally, good undies should allow freedom of movement so one can reach valves and such.

I've pieced undies together but to be honest, the specially made stuff works better for me.

It very much depends on the water temperature you are going to dive.
In our conditions none of the normal staff is not that warm as Thinsulate 400, or if it is is way too thick to fit under the drysuit. As a result you would have to buy a way too big drysuit.

Second thing is that most of the undergourment is cut in a special way - to properly fit under the drysuit and to allow you all the movements which are needed. Normal, everyday wear may restrict some of the moves (i.e vdrill).
And last but not least - undergourment has a different absorption of the gas than normal clothes - inflation and deflation of the gas is easier.

Mania

You're right, I'm sure you could find the equivalent over the counter and piece stuff together. However, besides the stuff mentioned in the above posts, it's nice to have the thumb loops, foot straps, double zipper for pee-valve hoses and stuff. And I'd bet, by the time you get done, you're gonna pay about the same price.

I have yet to figure out why a purpose made drysuit undergarment is superior to other cold weater clothing.

Is there a great disadvantage to wearing conventional thermal underwear as additional layers over a basic DS undergarment for colder dives?

How about materials? Merino, Poly, Goretex, Polarmax & others?

Depending on the design and materials, there appear to be some clear advantages of purpose-made drysuit undergarments compared to piecing together cold weather outdoor clothing.

It's debatable whether those advantages are worth the cost and perhaps narrow temp range.

For dives of moderate length (about an hour or so) and moderately cold water temps (above 40 degree F), I like being able to match the conditions with layers of Polartec and polypropylene outdoor wear.

Below 40F water temps, my Weezle Extreme Plus is warmer, but, even then, I use a homemade fleece chest pad and a first layer of polypropylene long underwear.

I've also found Merino wool socks very warm. I often use two pairs, sometimes combined with Weezle socks in the winter.

Dave C

I use 3 pair of socks. cotton base layer, then two pair of wool socks. Keeps me tootsies warm and adds the bulk I need to fill out the drysuit sock.

Don't have a dry suit here, but I've been looking into it, and thing I've 'heard' is that some of the better cold water purpose-made underwear still keeps some insulating value when soaked, as opposed to above-water thermal underwear. How much truth is there to this? It would presumably be more important in colder waters, especially if you had an extended deco stop.

Don't have a dry suit here, but I've been looking into it, and thing I've 'heard' is that some of the better cold water purpose-made underwear still keeps some insulating value when soaked, as opposed to above-water thermal underwear. How much truth is there to this? It would presumably be more important in colder waters, especially if you had an extended deco stop.

Wheezels are famous for staying warm when wet. And I once flooded my Whites MK3 left arm, cuff to shoulder in 43 degree water, and didn't even know it until after the dive. Amazing!

I hear that about the wheezels. I'm not sure my DUI stuff will do that. I've also got a Pinnacle of some flavor that I like... OK.

I hear that about the wheezels. I'm not sure my DUI stuff will do that. I've also got a Pinnacle of some flavor that I like... OK.

I've been in a fully flooded suit using DUI 400gm undies. They work great when flooded.

Back
Top Bottom