Drysuit training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning a trip to Iceland in November. The dive site requires 10 drysuit dives. I have modest experience diving and bo Drysuit course as of yet. Any suggestions for overcoming this in six weeks in Montreal region?

When I asked my tailor made drysuit guy how I dump without a valve he told me to lift my hand

A bit annoying when you blow your glove half off

When I asked my tailor made drysuit guy how I dump without a valve he told me to lift my hand

A bit annoying when you blow your glove half off
Dry Suits were available to recreational divers several years before wet suits came on to the market. (circa mid 1950's). I doubt that the basic design has changed very much other than bells and whistles added to make life easier for the diver. The first dry suit I purchased in 1956 was a two piece with rubber skirts attached to top and bottom rolled up together and secured by a rubber cummerbund. There was no way to vent excess air other than extending your arm over your head and cracking the seal on that wrist. Oh how history repeats itself.

does the organiser demand a dry suit certificate?
if not just get in the water and practice -a well fitted dry suit is the key to success

I am planning a trip to Iceland in November. The dive site requires 10 drysuit dives. I have modest experience diving and bo Drysuit course as of yet. Any suggestions for overcoming this in six weeks in Montreal region?

Find a local shop in your area that you can get an instructor to teach you drysuit diving. From there, take a couple weekends to hit some local lakes or whatnot to get used to the drysuit and get some practice in. Three dives/day for three days will get you nine, plus your two from training and you’ll meet their requirements.

Diving dry brings about its own set of skill refinement. Buoyancy control and trimming will be first and foremost as it’s easy to move too much gas to your feet and put you upside down resulting in an unplanned ascent if not mitigated, or even slightly head down which you may not notice until you start getting some acid reflux feeling going on. Just like starting with diving took some work to dial in buoyancy (I often compare it to learning to drive a manual transmission), after some practice you should have a good feel for it.

The 10 dives is likely so they can ensure you are familiar enough with diving in a drysuit that you’ll have some level of competency and not be on the struggle bus throughout the dive and can enjoy it without spending all you focused and fighting your suit.

I know many people think drysuit certification is just a money maker for agencies, but there are a number of “you don’t know what you don’t know” issues when it comes to using a drysuit that can get you hurt. Sure you could YOLO it with a buddy that gives you a crash course, but what information will he forget to mention not having a structured lesson plan?

how much is "modest" experience?

10 dives is really doable in 6 weeks, you just have to get out there and go. In a city the size of Montreal, I'm sure there's at least a dive club or two that hits the lakes and rivers on the weekend. and it's canada so I bet they rent drysuits as well. Get onto one of the groups, tell them what you'retrying to do andgo hit a few 3 tank shore diving days. you'll have the dives in a couple weekends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom