Drysuit thermal insulation gas: Ar vs SF6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TkdDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that some divers will use an Argon gas cylinder specifically for insulation in their drysuit. I know this is because of Argon's density being higher than air it is more thermally insulating. So here is my question: Sulfur Hexafluoride is denser, and I assume more thermally insulating because of it, than Argon, will we see a shift in the diving industry to usage of SF6 as an insulating gas? Or is this this a nonissue for some other reason that I may be unfamiliar with?

I apologize if this is a repeat of another thread, I looked but didn't find anything. And thanks in advance for the info/opinions.

Honest question: What's the cost of SF6? I know you can "breathe" it to get the anti-Helium effect (deeper pitch) so it's safe (mostly?) even under pressure....but maybe not at scuba pressures? Maybe it's an environmental concern because of how "effective" of a greenhouse gas it is?

doubt it will catch on. a lot of people with inflation bottles seem to just use air anyways.

I use a suit inflation bottle bc I don't want to be taking a hose on/off my first stage depending on whether or not I'm diving helium. Usually just transfill the argon bottle, I think our argon bottles have actually had argon in them two or three times maybe?

As long as argon is 1% of the atmosphere I doubt it will be replaced

I never found any difference using argon except how much lighter it made my wallet.

Interesting... Many divers will argue that. I never used a inflation bottle, but have giving it a lot of thought. It would seem only feasible when diving very strong helium mixes (>40%).

Others thoughts.....

Interesting... Many divers will argue that. I never used a inflation bottle, but have giving it a lot of thought. It would seem only feasible when diving very strong helium mixes (>40%).

Others thoughts.....

My comment has nothing to do with using helium mixes. I always use a separate inflation bottle for my drysuit. It is filled with air. The times I have used argon instead, I found no noticeable difference in warmth. My bailout regs all have an inflator hose on them in case my inflation bottle fails. If I'm only carrying bailout gas with helium, that would be a dive ender.

If you are diving in seriously cold water Argon makes a noticable difference. I only use it about 3 months/yr but it's a real nice treat when the water is 3-4C and the weather far less than that.

I know that some divers will use an Argon gas cylinder specifically for insulation in their drysuit. I know this is because of Argon's density being higher than air it is more thermally insulating. So here is my question: Sulfur Hexafluoride is denser, and I assume more thermally insulating because of it, than Argon, will we see a shift in the diving industry to usage of SF6 as an insulating gas? Or is this this a nonissue for some other reason that I may be unfamiliar with?

I apologize if this is a repeat of another thread, I looked but didn't find anything. And thanks in advance for the info/opinions.

Thermal conductivity is not a function of material density. Steel is vastly denser than argon too, but surprise surprise isn't an insulator.

People doing extreme dives use electric or hot water powered suit heaters with adjustable output, not exotic gases.

Back
Top Bottom