Question Drysuit temperature and time limits in 13C and 24C water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in France most of the time, always 400gr regardless of time. I'm nice and toasty throughout the dive. I dive the Mola Mola Thermoflexx++ undersuit with drygloves and neoprene socks.

@Leon_2020 i checked the website, and that undersuit doesnt look bulky at all, especially the thermoflexx without the "+"

My impression was that 400g+ undersuits were always very bulky and puffy to capture more air for insulation

My impression was that 400g+ undersuits were always very bulky and puffy to capture more air for insulation
There is a very noticeable difference between the Seaskin 150 & 250 undergarments. I only use my 150 because I'm plenty warm in 45° water for 60+ min runs. Dry gloves and a 5/3 hood tucked into my warm neck make it comfy for me.

There is a very noticeable difference between the Seaskin 150 & 250 undergarments. I only use my 150 because I'm plenty warm in 45° water for 60+ min runs. Dry gloves and a 5/3 hood tucked into my warm neck make it comfy for me.
You got the regular cut from them (without the extra space)? Do you fit comfortably with 250g?

You got the regular cut from them (without the extra space)? Do you fit comfortably with 250g?
Reg cut. I haven't dove the 250 because the 150 is plenty warm for me. I bought it at the same time since it was inexpensive. With the 150 I have pretty good range of motion once the suit got "broke in". Before that it was pretty stiff. I'm also new to dry diving this year so not sure how else to describe it.

Dpv will also make a lot of difference – I wouldn’t underestimate the chill factor, particularly on longer (1hr+) dives. Once I get settled for the ride, there’s not a whole lot of body heat generated, the workload is minimal. Ergo, need extra padding (e.g. two hoods) or heat vest + battery + Pitkin controller. I’m not shy to use these in 16-17°C, usually turn them on on ascent / at deco

Dpv will also make a lot of difference – I wouldn’t underestimate the chill factor, particularly on longer (1hr+) dives. Once I get settled for the ride, there’s not a whole lot of body heat generated, the workload is minimal. Ergo, need extra padding (e.g. two hoods) or heat vest + battery + Pitkin controller. I’m not shy to use these in 16-17°C, usually turn them on on ascent / at deco
I do get chilled when running a scooter. That's the only reason I'm planning to add a vest in the near future.

You want 400gm level undies in France for any kind of significant dive. Ditto in FL.

In MX you can get away with almost anything undergarment wise - and leave your suit heater at home.

Get the larger shell drysuit and it can serve both needs and dont worry about the extra wrinkles in MX, they arent a big deal.

I don't think I've read anyone wishing they didn't get the extra room, some have wished they did. I got it and I've been super happy, but I dive in the 2C-8C range. 13C is like bath water to get into.

My experience has been that my undergarments have changed over time and my style of diving does for different temp waters. How much air I put in the suit vs the wing, etc. It really is user dependent. I would have froze to death if I only stuck with the 150 like @Boarderguy does.. but I get cold pretty easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom