Drysuit Temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The longer I dive, the warmer the water has to be to make me even consider diving wet.

The longer you spend in the water, the more important good insulation becomes. A 30 minute dive in 75 degree water is quite manageable in a 3 mil wetsuit, but you will shiver in the wind when you get out of the water. A 90 minute dive in 75 degree water is a delight in a dry suit with a thin undergarment, and you will get back on the boat, unzip your suit, and be as comfortable as you were when you got in.

I don't like to be cold. I own a Fusion dry suit. I dive dry everywhere.

:shocked: 65F is NOT warm water.

I got my log book out of my gear box, the average water temp here in the last couple years was between 60 and 70 degrees. Of course, Hawaii and Seabase screwed my figuring up.

Before I bought a thick wetsuit, total thickness of around 13 mil, I did all of my diving with a 3.2 mil skin with no problem. I'm losing my sanity though and doing the drysuit specialty next month and ice diving after that.

i was wondering at what temp a drysuit beats the wetsuit at keeping you comfortable while in the water.
There is a consistent theme in the responses, and mine is similar. I prefer to dive dry if the water temp is below ~73 degrees. I have reduced my exposure suit selection to only a full 3mm or a drysuit, with a microprene hooded vest and a 5 mm hooded vest available if needed with the 3mm. I managed some open water check-outs recently in the 3mm with 5mm vest, when the water temp was 66, and got through them without overtly shivering in front of the students (who were in 5mm shorties with farmer johns underneath) - I do not plan to repeat that experience. Once you are used to it, getting a drysuit on and off is relatively straightforward, and the variety of available undergarment thicknesses make a drysuit fairly versatile. Unlike RJP, I have not taken my drysuit to Bonaire (great picture of what I presume is the Salt Pier in the background), and I usually manage to get 4-5 dives a day in using only my 3mm. But, I have used my drysuit on the Oriskany in July, when the air temps were in the very high 90s, the surface water temps in the mid 80s, and the bottom temps in the 60s. It was great at the bottom, uncomfortable during a 20 minute stop at 20ft (I thought I was going to pass out from the heat until I pulled my hood and gloves off), and pretty darn hot and unpleasant on the boat until I could get it off.

It is a personal preference. But, if you are going to regularly dive in waters colder than 70 (I agree with RJP - 65 is NOT warm), and are planning to use a drysuit in those cases instead of thicker neoprene, why not train in it?

I love diving dry. I am more comfortable, happier, and dive more frequently.

If the water temperature is 75 degrees or lower, I am in a dry suit. If the weather is cool, windy, or wet, I will be diving dry unless the water is really warm. I dove on the Great Barrier Reef this past August. The water temp was 80 degrees, but with the wind and rain I was VERY COMFORTABLE (and happy) in a dry suit.

Two weeks ago I did a 95 minute dive in a 5mm wet suit in 78 degree water, and I was shivering during the final minutes of decompression.

You'll figure out your personal comfort range with experience.

Mount Storm is really warm in the summer, but the rest of the year it can drop to 48 degrees. Plus, given the elevation, it can be rather cool and windy. I stay in my dry suit in between dives, and I stay toasty warm. I start my dives feeling warm. I end my dives feeling warm. Youghiogheny reservoir is probably your closest dive spot, but it is rather cold and you'll need a dry suit there is you want to dive a lot. The visibility at Tygart so poor that I wouldn't waste the time going down there unless you have a report that the viz is decent.

I'm cold in a 3mm shortie at 83F in the pool. Next pool suit is at least a 3mm full. I wore my ds in 75F water on a hot sunny day, it was sweaty at the surface but fine underwater, remember how much faster water conducts heat than air...anyways warmer is better for me in just about any situation, but I'm always chilly.

Anything other than a shallow reef dive on a single tank and I am pulling out my drysuit here in Hawaii. And lately my 4/3 fullsuit hasn't been keeping me comfortable for my avg 1-hr dives so I may have to start whipping out the Fusion on ALL of my dives.

Peace,
Greg

Has anyone ever attended one of the drysuit demo days offered through DUI? I believe they make a stop at one of the big quarries in northern Ohio every year. I was just wondering how they went. I am also considering going dry and figured this would be a great opportunity to try it out to see if I wanted to pursue it.

Has anyone ever attended one of the drysuit demo days offered through DUI? I believe they make a stop at one of the big quarries in northern Ohio every year. I was just wondering how they went. I am also considering going dry and figured this would be a great opportunity to try it out to see if I wanted to pursue it.

Dog Days is about trying DUI products. I attended one when I bought my CF200 to make sure I was properly fit. It was also nice to be able to try different DUI products and ask the factory reps questions. If you just want to try a drysuit, your dive shop will more then likely rent you one. Read up on technique and do a pool dive with someone who is already fluent in DS diving. There's a little more to manage, but not much. If you dive near freezing water like I do a dry suit is a requirement. Even in summer time here on Lake Michigan, the deeper wrecks can be in the mid 30's. Definetely not wet suit country.

As my extended backyard is the Monterrey and conversely Bodega Bay area where the average water temperature is high 40F to mid 50F, and having dove several multi-dive days using both systems (I have an O'Neill one-piece with attached hood and thicker midsection totaling 11-13mil, and a DUI CF300 with polartec 300). One does not keep you any warmer than the other in the water (provided you have full exposure coverage).

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but in my humble opinion where the drysuit really excels is once you are out of the water, your recovery is instantaneous. With a wetsuit you have to deal with evaporative and/or wind chill once out of the water, or take the thing off, a drysuit can comfortably be left on all day.

The only other Item I would caution you on with the drysuit fit is everything (don't get a close enough suit), and be weary of the gadgets. Stick with a pocket, maybe a pee valve or relief zipper. You start adding on all the options and it can be a very sorted affair when trying to put the thing on, not to mentioned you're about as streamlined as brick. Those of you that have dove dry for awhile, and had to don a wetsuit for whatever reason know what I'm talking about, with the right suit suddenly you feel like a streamlined dolphin.

Back
Top Bottom