Drysuit Temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i have been wondering at what water temp should one consider wearing a drysuit? the places that i plan on diving are warm water (65-80+). but i was wondering at what temp a drysuit beats the wetsuit at keeping you comfortable while in the water. I ask this because i was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to train to dive with a drysuit if im going to stay in these water temps.

Last edited:
I only have a 3mm wetsuit, so anything much below 80 degrees & it is drysuit for me. I have several undergarments that are any thing from 150gm all the way to 650 gram. I generally wear my drysuit year round. I live in a temperate area. Water temps can range from 85 in the summer to the upper 30's in the winter. In the warmest weather, I have been known to only wear shorts & T-shirt underneath, but it is not recommended. The squeeze, pinching & wrinkling can cause sores.

I wear my drysuit in temperatures ranging from 35 degrees, to 76 degrees. I found it is actually more comfortable in the drysuit even in the warmer temperatures. I just switch to wet gloves, or no gloves, and if it is too warm I go without a hood.

This is like asking at what temperature would you put on a sweater. It depends on the person, the sweater, and the duration and frequency of exposure. There is no definitive answer other than do what keeps you comfortable. I have a "tropical weight" dry suit which I wear when the water temperature drops below 80. At 80 I will see people from the north with little and sometimes no thermal protection and I appear to be dressed for ice diving. At 80 I would once be squeezing into a 7 mil but I now find the dry suit easier to handle and more comfortable on the deck.

the places that i plan on diving are warm water (65-80+).

:shocked2:

65F is NOT warm water.

i was wondering at what temp a drysuit beats the wetsuit at keeping you comfortable while in the water. I ask this because i was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to train to dive with a drysuit if im going to stay in these water temps.

A big part of it is how many dives a day you plan on doing. Repetitive dives in even relatively warm water can really chill you. Also depends on how much activity you are doing. Given the same 75F temp you'll be much cooler doing a drift dive than if you were really swimming along.

Personally, I dive dry EVERYWHERE including the Caribbean. Main reason is on dive trips I tend to do 5 dives a day, including night dives. Though I have a tropical drysuit for "warm" water...

RJP.jpg

WarmDry.jpg

As RJP said 65 is not warm. I use drysuit in anything under 70 or so for multiple dive days. I can handle one or two dives in 68-70 in a 5 mil but need time between to warm up. Diving dry 55-68 degree water can be done easily for me 4 dives a day. It also depends on undies as well. When you get back up to school from break give me a call. We'll go look at the BC angle and you can check out the drysuit thing as well. If you plan on diving locally now any place other than Mt Storm is going to be tough wet more than say from late October - end of April. It will be doable for shallow stuff but once below the thermocline (15-20ft) you're looking at colder temps that will put your cahoneys in your chest in some of the quarries and lakes. If you are used to Mt Storm you will be in for a surprise because Storm is heated.

I use drysuit 60F and below or if I am diving with twins (have steel twins) at any water temperature.

Above that I can do at least 80mins or so in a 7mm so I don't bother with a drysuit. I prefer to dive wet whereever possible.

It's really an individual thing... I known friends who dive in shark skins at 65F and some who need 400g thermals and a drysuit.

It really is a personal thing. Above 75F and I'm wearing my 3mm. I use my 5mm when it gets below 75F down to 55F, below 55F then it's DS time. I'm with Sas; I prefer to dive wet when I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom