Drysuit suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theatis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm asking for suggestions here because I'm at the end of my tether with my attempts at finding a drysuit that will fit me. My issue is body type; I'm relatively broad for my height and the real issue (as the results of my drysuit hunt suggest) is that it seems I have the torso of a 6-footer and the legs of a 5-footer! My measurements are: Height = 5'7", Chest = 43", Waist = 35", Hips = 40", Weight= 175.

Here's a brief recount of the story. I used to own an O'Neill's 7mm neo DS. As usual, it was built for someone taller than me but it really wasn't too bad. But since I'm moving to a doubles setup, I'd like to be able to dive dry year-round so a 7mm neo was out.

I recently replaced that suit with a Whites Polarflex, size Medium King. The specs suggested that it should fit me (except for height again) so I gave it a shot. The neoprene bottom barely fits me without an undergarment; with an undergarment I cannot bend at the knees!

So, I tried the solution that seems to be everyone's favorite lately, the Whites Fusion. I tried a Small/Medium. Yet again, the specs seemed favorable. I thought the chest might be a little constrictive but I gave it a shot anyway. It turns the chest isn't really a problem but the crotch is! Apparently, the S/M isn't long enough for me at the torso, which suggests that the L/XL would be way too long at the legs.

I know what the obvious answer is: custom suit. If that was an option I wouldn't even be asking for advice, I would have ordered one long ago. On a graduate student's budget though that is quite out of the question. So, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. My frustration with this issue has really killed my enthusiasm for my diving progression. I'm even thinking of abandoning my plans of assembling a doubles-setup after so much effort getting the right tanks, wing, etc. I really do hope that there's a solution out there and I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Northern Diver says you would need a "Medium Relaxed".

They're pretty much dead on with their sizes.

Northern Diver Drysuit Sizing System

Note that if you need to convert pounds or kilos into "stones" (the measurement the site uses), Google will help.

Just type "convert 175 pounds to stone" in the google search box.

As an added benefit, the suits aren't too expensive. (1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a DUI).

Terry

I'm asking for suggestions here because I'm at the end of my tether with my attempts at finding a drysuit that will fit me. My issue is body type; I'm relatively broad for my height and the real issue (as the results of my drysuit hunt suggest) is that it seems I have the torso of a 6-footer and the legs of a 5-footer! My measurements are: Height = 5'7", Chest = 43", Waist = 35", Hips = 40", Weight= 175.

Here's a brief recount of the story. I used to own an O'Neill's 7mm neo DS. As usual, it was built for someone taller than me but it really wasn't too bad. But since I'm moving to a doubles setup, I'd like to be able to dive dry year-round so a 7mm neo was out.

I recently replaced that suit with a Whites Polarflex, size Medium King. The specs suggested that it should fit me (except for height again) so I gave it a shot. The neoprene bottom barely fits me without an undergarment; with an undergarment I cannot bend at the knees!

So, I tried the solution that seems to be everyone's favorite lately, the Whites Fusion. I tried a Small/Medium. Yet again, the specs seemed favorable. I thought the chest might be a little constrictive but I gave it a shot anyway. It turns the chest isn't really a problem but the crotch is! Apparently, the S/M isn't long enough for me at the torso, which suggests that the L/XL would be way too long at the legs.

I know what the obvious answer is: custom suit. If that was an option I wouldn't even be asking for advice, I would have ordered one long ago. On a graduate student's budget though that is quite out of the question. So, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. My frustration with this issue has really killed my enthusiasm for my diving progression. I'm even thinking of abandoning my plans of assembling a doubles-setup after so much effort getting the right tanks, wing, etc. I really do hope that there's a solution out there and I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Who sold you a SM/MD Fusion?? That was the first mistake...your a LG/XL all the way! I would give the right sized Fusion a shot, or go custom. We have a Promo on Pinnacle suits, buy a suit,get free custom alterations....Where are you going to be diving? Water Temps? Tec or Rec? What undergarment you using?

I have a buddy that is as tall as you, but not as stockey that dives a Lg/Xl. It is a little big on him above the waist but still way better than most other trilams. The extra length is not even noticed. It just seems weird to me that him and I dive the exact same suit and I am 5'11" and 210lbs, and he is 5'7" and 160 lbs.

Crazy...

Phil

I would second the recommendation for the correct size of Fusion. The cool thing about that suit is that it doesn't really matter if it's a little bit too big -- When I sent mine in to get the neck seal replaced, I dove my husband's while it was gone!

Definetly at least try a L/XL Fusion. I've had so many people that aren't the same size as me try mine and it works for them. I dive the 2XL/3Xl and have had guys 6 inches shorter than me fit in it, and guys a fair bit heavier than me.

Hello,

You definitly have the wrong size Fusion, and as others have suggested you need a L/XL. Given your size the L/Xl would fit you very good and solve all your issues.

Cheers,

Justin Balaski
Whites Manufacturing Ltd.

I am about your size and I bought a Bare Nex-Gen in Large this summer and the fit is perfect. I believe they also have a large/short if you are worried about your legs. My inseam is 29 and the large fit fine. I also tried on a Dive concept large and it was fine too.

I hope this helped

Steve

I am 5'9" with a 46" chest with a 30" inseam and I had to go with an 2XL/3XL Fusion as the XL was tight in the calves (whites seems to cut them for people with chicken legs). But it works well and the extra inseam is not an issue at all.

Either way one of the Fusion sizes will fit you and work very well in the water.

Back
Top Bottom