Drysuit squeeze and feet over head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious what a cave cut drysuit means. I hear so many stories of bad cuts on the suit, to tight, to loose.
According to the guy who came up with the concept, it is a very tight fitting suit designed for cavers who spend hours riding on DPVs and need to absolutely reduce suit drag. It’s a very special purpose suit.

As @PfcAJ mentioned, its simple. You're getting squeeze because you're not adding enough gas to the suit.

Solution - You have to add enough gas so its comfortably snug. If you feel very uncomfortable, could be your suit doesn't fit right with a large bubble moving around. or its a stability/ buoyancy issue. You'll be a bit narked at 130 feet on air anyway so maybe thats why you're uncomfortable also.
Get a day of training drysuit ascents with a quality instructor.

Do you do a suit stretch on the surface before descending?

Try this. Once you get in the water put your regulator in your face hole and tilt head down. Then add lots of air so your feet get floaty and it really lofts your undergarments and helps get them placed correctly. The start rolling head up but keep your left shoulder down so all the air moves up your chest and back into your right arm. The finally left your left arm and vent the extra air.

This helps quite a bit with mobility and may position the undergarments on your chest so that as you descend the squeeze is more even. I know it will help your mobility.

Ben
So you basically want him to have an epileptic seizure on the surface to "help with mobility".
Placing your undergarments where its comfortable is part of getting dressed before the dive, not just before you descend.
Sure, do your own thing though.

So you basically want him to have an epileptic seizure on the surface to "help with mobility".
Placing your undergarments where its comfortable is part of getting dressed before the dive, not just before you descend.

I will bow down to the DIR diving god you must be but maybe you should think about this.

This takes 15-30 seconds and greatly helps with mobility. It’s very smooth and quick and moves the bubble around the entire suit.

Where did I learn this little trick; from a very well respected GUE instructor while brushing up on some teaching strategies to assist students with mobility issues.

So maybe before you are such an ass, you either say nothing at all or give it a try. I was attempting to provide feedback to help a diver with a specific question.

What was the purpose of your post?

I’m in the “gaiters are solution to a skills problem” boat but there are instances where suit cut/fit can come into play. How trim is your suit? Is it a Fusion/Whites/off the shelf (but not coordinate with your body dimensions)? Doubly so if you’re keeping extra gas in your suit as a means of insulation and warmth.
Well, that’s your “camp”, but not everyone is the same. I have large 14W size feet, and very large calves (my best feature I’m told).. so even with a custom fitted suit, I can get an air pocket around my ankles. In cave diving, you absolutely cannot totally avoid going into a feet up position. I know how to recover, and deal with it, but it’s annoying, and can force me out of trim at the worst possible time.

I have a pair of Dive Rite leg Gaters that virtually eliminate the problem.

I'm curious what a cave cut drysuit means. I hear so many stories of bad cuts on the suit, to tight, to loose.

I wouldn’t dispute the above comments, but I was told it was to better allow a horizontal trim w arms out front.

perhaps the op, might consider one of the fusion suits?

also choice of base layer and thermal layer could allow a little more “slide” when the suit is tight.

The only time I get float feet is when I'm purposely head down looking in holes or digging around (My trim while fining is level and I'm not head or feet heavy). Me bringing up light feet was just trying to see what other do when they are purposely head down.
it is just call "physics".
You just expect it and if you have put the correct amount of gas before you head down it should be easily managed. just relax.

Well, that’s your “camp”, but not everyone is the same. I have large 14W size feet, and very large calves (my best feature I’m told).. so even with a custom fitted suit, I can get an air pocket around my ankles. In cave diving, you absolutely cannot totally avoid going into a feet up position. I know how to recover, and deal with it, but it’s annoying, and can force me out of trim at the worst possible time.

I have a pair of Dive Rite leg Gaters that virtually eliminate the problem.

I wouldn’t dispute the above comments, but I was told it was to better allow a horizontal trim w arms out front.

perhaps the op, might consider one of the fusion suits?

also choice of base layer and thermal layer could allow a little more “slide” when the suit is tight.
The Fusion suits make the problem far worse. I actually think that's what OP has.

Personal note, empathize with the large calf small ankle problem.

I do this before every dive. It’s especially helpful when you’ve got lots of heavy kit to put on as your undergarments move. It was your fundies instructor that showed me the trick so wind your neck in :wink:

I do this before every dive. It’s especially helpful when you’ve got lots of heavy kit to put on as your undergarments move. It was your fundies instructor that showed me the trick so wind your neck in :wink:

Does anyone have a quick video of this head down wiggle dance?

Back
Top Bottom