Drysuit sizing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isurus oxyrinchus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I was wondering if anyone can tell me how drysuits should fit. I have a 3mm Bare Velocity wetsuit in medium large tall which fits perfectly. I've been considering a drysuit for awhile now for colder water. My concern is with the thermal underlayers. Is it a good idea to buy a size up in drysuits to account for those additional layers? If it helps, I'm looking at both the Bare D6 drysuit and their Trilam Tech dry.

There are local dive shops in my area and the obvious solution would be to try on several suits but the local stores keep limited stock on hand so to try on a drysuit involves ordering one in and sending it back if it doesn't work. Time consuming to say the least! Thanks in advance to all who respond!

Drysuits are sized to compensate for undergarments, so no real need to go up a size from there. A drysuit should fit you and allow you to retain the ability to crouch down and reach back to where your tank valve is without being overly "baggy".

So I was wondering if anyone can tell me how drysuits should fit. I have a 3mm Bare Velocity wetsuit in medium large tall which fits perfectly. I've been considering a drysuit for awhile now for colder water. My concern is with the thermal underlayers. Is it a good idea to buy a size up in drysuits to account for those additional layers? If it helps, I'm looking at both the Bare D6 drysuit and their Trilam Tech dry.

There are local dive shops in my area and the obvious solution would be to try on several suits but the local stores keep limited stock on hand so to try on a drysuit involves ordering one in and sending it back if it doesn't work. Time consuming to say the least! Thanks in advance to all who respond!

We have helped Thousands of people get into the right suit, day one. When you get sized properly and have the right people helping you with your suit, you have zero issues or anything to worry about getting the wrong size or the wrong model for your diving. If you want, I can email you their measurement form, and we can tell you exactly what size would be the best for you. We can also go over your needs as a diver to see which suit would be better for your diving style. Both are VERY strong models, but completely different beasts.

I don't know where you are, but before you spend $3000 on a suit and undergarments that might not quite fit consider trying to fit in a trip to a place that sells a lot of drysuits. Much as I like DRIS as an on-line shop, my suggestion is to get someone who sells a bunch of drysuits to measure you in person and order it from them. The mechanics of measuring need to be done very carefully and methodically. If you fit in a standard size they can then let you try on a suit and undergraments and ensure that you will have the range of motion you should because they know how to test what range of motion you have and need in the suit and undergarments.

BTW, if you want a slightly too small $2500 dry suit, I have one... And a $3500 properly fitted suit on order that I got set up on a trip to Florida. The slightly too small suit worked OK for me until I needed to reach the valves on doubles, which wasn't something I had thought I'd be doing when I ordered the suit from my LDS. And yes, they very carefully followed the measurement instructions. Neither I not they knew enough to realize the suit I got delivered 3 months later didn't have enough range of motion.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 11:33 PM ----------

I have a trilam tech dry and have a few issues with that I feel like ranting about, perhaps this will help you.

The big issue with the trilam tech dry is that it doesn't stretch at all. For example, I can reach the valves on doubles wearing the base layer or a light fleece, but with the SB midlayer (which is great otherwise) I simply cannot touch the left valve at all. So sizing has to be exactly right. And their sizing guidelines don't seem to be really that good. My LDS did a very methodical job of measuring me and it still ended up too small.

The other big issue is that the exhaust valve is really poorly located. It should be on the outside of the upper arm, but is instead on the top of the upper arm. So when you are flat in the water the exhaust valve is below you, and the air bubble can't get out. So when ascending you need to have your fist against you ear so the expanding air in the suit can escape. Which makes it really damn hard to reach the dump valve on the bottom left of your BCD (or the lever on a Dimension BCD). Oh, and when you go to reach back for the valve on the left side the inch high suit exhaust valve hits your upper arm about 3 inches below your wrist and limits your range of motion.

The relatively minor issue is that Bare has no idea how to install things like pockets or p valves, so they fall off. Latex glue is not the glue you use for things that are supposed to be permanent. Have DRIS, Gamble Scuba or someone else competent install these after you have gotten it and tested it, don't get them factory installed. My suit has never leaked (umm - other then when I don't close the zipper...) but it's a standard size. The 3 guys I know who got custom sized Bare suits at the same time all had to send them back as they leaked at the seams.

Last edited:
I don't know where you are, but before you spend $3000 on a suit and undergarments that might not quite fit consider trying to fit in a trip to a place that sells a lot of drysuits. Much as I like DRIS as an on-line shop, my suggestion is to get someone who sells a bunch of drysuits to measure you in person and order it from them. The mechanics of measuring need to be done very carefully and methodically. If you fit in a standard size they can then let you try on a suit and undergraments and ensure that you will have the range of motion you should because they know how to test what range of motion you have and need in the suit and undergarments.

We sell more drysuits than anyone in the country....There are many things we do to ensure proper size, and that everyone gets a perfect suit. I agree with having someone that knows drysuits in and out help you pick the perfect suit. I do differ on the fact they have to be local. Remember, we are not just an online store. We are a local dive shop, that just happens to also be an online store. We are also the largest drysuit repair center in the country. Helping Retailers, Manufacturers, Police/Fire, Commercial, normal divers stay dry year round. Seeing almost 800 drysuits in a year for service, also helps us know what holds up to what environments and diving lifestlyes. Not to mention offering industry first lifetime warranties on suits.

You even say your own diveshop measured you wrong....? Sorry, but that's not typical. We sell hundreds per year, and I guarantee less than 5 had any size issues. We even sell suits to Nuclear teams that dive Fukishima....their suits can't leak and must be perfect. Guess what, never seen a single one of them and they have been a customer for years. Being methodical doesn't make you good at what you do, being good and making it's knowledge a priority does. Bad measurements or knowledge of how a suit fits is what causes a bad fit. If your trilam doesn't allow you to reach the valves with your undergarment, someone got you into the wrong suit and didn't measure properly or know what to do with the undies you needed. Did you go with the Replaceable neck system? Bare actually makes a really solid suit, I'm surprised you had any issues other than the ill fit. At the same time, stuff can happen with glues and humidity. I'm sure they fixed it ASAP for you and that it isn't normal for them to have issues. Bare actually has undergone alot of changes the last couple years, I wonder if the leaks were around the same time as some of the big changes.

This is exactly why people buy from us, "Neither I nor they knew enough to realize the suit I got delivered 3 months later didn't have enough range of motion."

Also, glue is a permanent solution when used properly and the weather is in your favor. Send me your address and I will send you a piece of neoperene glued together. Pull it as hard as you can, it will break, but not at the glue. :wink:

Thanks Kevin NM, lots of helpful details there! I have read on other forums about occasional seam issues for the brand in general, but by most accounts Bare is good about returning or replacing items if they don't work. From what you've described in regard the lack of stretch with the Trilam and the exhaust valve placement it's looking like I might be better off with the D6 model. I appreciate the offer for the $2500 suit but I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada and the water temperature runs from the low to mid 50's in August so I would probably need the heavier thermal layer. It could be a challenge to get to all valves/BCD if the suit just fits with a lighter underlayer.

I sent the suit back to Bare to fix the peeling glue. It took a month to get it back. Four months after that I gave it to Steve Gamble to fix permanently along with moving the exhaust valve.

My LDS sent the measurements to Bare, they told them what size would be correct and I ordered that. People who don't sell a lot of drysuits just don't know what they don't know. You can get away with a lot in a stretchy suit like a fusion or probably an SB, but not so much in a traditional trilam.

Thanks. I haven't heard of Abyss before but I wrote down their contact information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom