Drysuit Roundtable Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got the si tech qcp glove locks on my suit I needed the larger rings for my hands I can Don and doff the gloves myself and the fact that they lock I know my gloves won't pop off if I over inflate

Now for my other question my suit is used and it leaks around my lower back area and I've tried pressuring and soap testing the suit as well as marking then sealing the torso was lengthened and the sealing tape wasn't done right is there an easier way to get it sealed right away or am I gonna have to do a trial and error thing and just aqua seal as I go till I catch all the leaks forgot to mention I have a neoprene ds by bare

I've got the si tech qcp glove locks on my suit I needed the larger rings for my hands I can Don and doff the gloves myself and the fact that they lock I know my gloves won't pop off if I over inflate

Now for my other question my suit is used and it leaks around my lower back area and I've tried pressuring and soap testing the suit as well as marking then sealing the torso was lengthened and the sealing tape wasn't done right is there an easier way to get it sealed right away or am I gonna have to do a trial and error thing and just aqua seal as I go till I catch all the leaks forgot to mention I have a neoprene ds by bare

If it's seam issues, the best is to reverse the valves, flip the suit inside out, and then soap it up with it fully inflated. Why? Because of tunneling. If there is a hole in your arm on the outside of the suit along the seam, but there isn't a weak spot on the inside, that water can tunnel until it finds a weak spot or hole in the seam tape. That could be in a totally different place. The best for the seams is to do it inside out as every single flaw will be presented now. You seal those up, and nothing gets thru. Mark it with chalk, then go back and fix it. Yes, aquaseal is most likely your best bet here.

There is no magical cure to leak testing :wink: It just takes time and patience to find the leaks.

Thanks I never thought of turning the suit inside out and I guesse patience is key when turning it inside out as I can't stress the zipper right

Whats the deal on scented talcum? Is this a long term storage issue or does i immediately start killing the seals?

I've used my Seasoft drysuit 6 times now. Have gotten wet 4 of the 6 times. I can't tell if the leak is from the neck seal or left wrist seal. The two dryest dives I've had were the result of adding Apollo Bio-Seal for the neck and wrist. Problem with the Bio-Seal is that the neck was SO tight that I really wanted to abort the dives.

Are there any pointers for me to try on our next dive weekend (January 16-18) so I can avoid so much leakage?

Thanks!
UPDATE: Got 10 dives in the SeaSoft dry suit under my belt. I have resolved the leak issues by keeping a bit more air in the suit during assent so that the wrist and neck seals aren't compromised. Also was sure to tighten the dump valve on the sleeve prior to diving. The water in Florida is still "warm" (71 degrees this past weekend) but being dry during the surface interval was SO nice as the air temp was mid 70s and breezy. {The other non-dry suit divers were shivering in their boat coats.} I'm sold and would recommend SeaSoft to others who are looking for dry suits.

Whats the deal on scented talcum? Is this a long term storage issue or does i immediately start killing the seals?
Depends, it can be quick though..depends on the seals and how have so far deteriorated. I don't recommend it at all, but if you already did, go with it I guess.

Any thoughts on managing "extra fabric"? I lost about 50 lbs (it was either that or probably die very early, and one can't dive while dead).

I know ultimately a new suit is the only solution but need to get though 2016 with my current DUI FLX 50/50.

Since losing the weight I've been able to take lead off (both wet & dry), but my dry suit buoyancy has become rather variable. I finally asked buddies to watch, and they report I often have multiple air bubbles moving around in the extra fabric of the suit.

I took up a couple of inches on the bungee cord at the waist and tightened the crotch strap, and pre-dive I am more careful to squeeze out as much air as possible. One or more of these has helped somewhat.

It's a manageable situation but I'd like to manage less. Other ideas?

Where did you have the air trapped? You could add some gators around the ankle, and have some custom made for the arms. Basically make a Fusion out of your drysuit...
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/gator-wraps.html

You're best option you already know....sell it and get a new suit.

I have used gators from day one, so I didn't mention them. :) Made more sense to me than hanging weights on my ankles, but to each their own.

Haven't shot video but the descriptions are "it looks like mice running from waist area to your shoulders in the suit" (I swim in a slight head up angle due to neck issue) and sometimes the mice run "around your arms".

Does anyone have any tips for preventing a latex neck seal from "rolling" on your neck when you don the suit. It hasn't been an issue so far because my son has always been at the dive site with me to help get the roll out and ensure the seal sits flat on my neck, but he is quitting diving so I need to be able to sort this out without assistance. If it doesn't sit flat against my skin i get a little leaking if I turn my neck a lot on a dive.

Back
Top Bottom