Drysuit requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at OS Systems I own the telescoping torso model with front diaginal zipper light easy on off decent price

I would recommend to pay some attention to how easily you can move in different types of suits. How well the suit fits is a big factor, but you will find some suits allow more freedom of movement. You should, for example, be able to reach behind your head to your tank valve and have freedom in the legs to swim without restriction.

Many drysuit options can be added when you order or after you have your suit, so I'll start with some considerations that help you decide which suit to get. First, you may want to look at self-donning vs shoulder entry. Some divers like the self-donning in that they can get in an out on their own, but these tend to be a little more expensive. Second, the material choice is a big difference between different suits, as discussed above. Third, you should look at built-in boots vs neoprene "sock" suits where you use a separate boot over top. A last built-in to think about is latex vs neoprene seals. Latex are most common, but it's good to look at all your options before buying.

The second set of features are often either included, options, or can be added later. If you tend to carry extra stuff with you while diving, you will likely find that drysuit thigh pockets work a bit better than pockets in BCs. You often can order knee or butt reinforcements, if you think you need them. Many divers at the north end of the country will add dry glove systems, but you shouldn't need that in 50 deg +. Relief valves are nice but are relatively rare.

You may also consider looking at Diving Concepts (Z-Tech). I wish I could have fit into it --- it was just a wee bit short on the legs making it difficult for me to bend my knees. It was a very well constructed drysuit (molded boots, front zip, suspenders, bellows Velcro pockets as standard). Unfortunately, they don't seem to do much PR, which is sad, but if you can locate a dealer, do take the time to check it out. Prices are very comparable to DUI and other manufacturers.

Both my dry suits are neoprene. I don't know what crushed neoprene is, both look my wetsuit. I think they are just 1/4" neoprene. They're very old and both suits have great insulating capabilities. So much so that they can't be used in the summer unless your diving to 100' or below. Here in New England I use mine from Nov. to May. The rest of time I use my wetsuit. I would think the trilaminate type suit are much better suited to year round use. I've been considering buying one if I can find a deal on a used one in good shape. I know they're out there as I just let one slip thru my hands a few weeks ago. To slow on the trigger:(

Have a look @ our new bio-pro suits. Many unique features in a very well made suit:
click on the catalog page @ Apollo Sports: Dive Gear and open the new 2010 drysuit page
for all the specs and features.

Whatever you decide you are making a good choice to dive dry and to seek info before
you buy. Lots of good comments here already.

Back
Top Bottom