Drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Free_Flow

Reaction score
I'm taking my AOW in a couple of weeks and have the chance to do it in a drysuit, after the drysuit cert.
After reading through the book I noticed that the air can all go to your feet if you invert. I also learned that this can be difficult to disperse and may lead to a runaway ascent. Does this happen?
Pretty scary doing a runaway inverted ascent.
Plus the water is really really COLD... is it worth it?
Russ

Training, experience, training, experience, and training.

I dove where you are, and won't do it without a drysuit. As for your concern of being inverted, it is rare, and easily fixable with training. I have experienced it one time, and it was quickly fixed with no issues, and continued diving. The runaway ascent is also easily fixable, and not an issue as long as you have had the proper training or experience.

I think that once you go dry, you will stay dry.

Free_Flow:
I'm taking my AOW in a couple of weeks and have the chance to do it in a drysuit, after the drysuit cert.
After reading through the book I noticed that the air can all go to your feet if you invert. I also learned that this can be difficult to disperse and may lead to a runaway ascent. Does this happen?

Yes. However they'll teach you how to prevent and handle it in your drysuit class.

Pretty scary doing a runaway inverted ascent.
Plus the water is really really COLD... is it worth it?
Russ

It's absolutely worth it. Once you get comfortable with your drysuit, you can dive pretty much any time of the year you want to.

Terry

Yes, happened to me in my drysuit class (in the pool) as I was pushing the edge to see how close to a runaway ascent I could go and still recover. Discovered that if your fins are supposed to be on rock boots and you don't wear the boots - you can kick out of the fins and be absolutely helpless on the surface - no fins, legs inflated, inverted in the water. Pretty funny to look at.

However, even in that position you can just blow up the BC and recover.

Training will show you how to deal with the situation and how to get out of it. Never even been close since. Training and experience make such a thing very unlikely.

Wouldn't dive wet where you are - way too cold.

That's the point of taking the class is to learn how to deal with that problem. I've never had a run away feet first. The art of diving a drysuit is to manage that air bubble. You learn to deal with it and it really becomes second nature. It just takes practice.

Thanks for the input, I will definately go for that drysuit now. That was the only thing I was worried about, besides coming up with the cash :) Looked at the weather site, 38 degree water, waaaay to cold for neoprene.
Happy Diving

Free_Flow:
Thanks for the input, I will definately go for that drysuit now. That was the only thing I was worried about, besides coming up with the cash :) Looked at the weather site, 38 degree water, waaaay to cold for neoprene.
Happy Diving

Well, I just finished my DS cert on Sunday. As everyone else mentioned, concerns like an inverted or run away ascent are very easy to address. Even after just a couple of dives. The only thing I would caution you on is the fact that, in addition to passing your AOW, you will be focusing on your newly acquired DS skills too.

Don't get me wrong, it's not rocket science (I actually think the DS "certification" is a scam). It just won't be 2nd nature like your wet suit. I actually had entirely new gear for the class (computer, BP/W, fins etc.) and I was fine.

I have never experienced an inverted ascent but was aware of the potential when I first started using a dry suit. I have noticed my legs getting very light from time to time. I started using ankle weights and I think that helped quite a bit.

I find that my feet get too heavy sometimes (Bare Dry suit with 7mm boots and turtle fins). Don't wear the ankle weights at all. Nice thing about the boots for the dry suit is that they don't inflate and get loose. My buddy dives a Viking and wears the liners for winter boots and now does not have trouble with kicking out of his fins if his feet get air.

As has been said before practice under safe conditions is the best learning tool.

Enjoy diving dry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom