Drysuit Purchase Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KK2242

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I am currently in the process of deciding which drysuit to purchase. I did do a search but couldn't find much with regards to an issue I had with drysuit feet slippage of a suit I am interested in purchasing.

A couple weeks ago while I was home in the PNW, I was able to rent a Whites Fusion for my drysuit cert and also a couple of other dives. I wasn't able to try any other suits so can't compare. The only thing which I didn't like was the attached drysock/fusion boot. For some reason, even with the Velcro strap on the boot as tight as it would go, both of my feet would slip halfway out of the boots/fins. After a few times of pulling the fin/boot back on, I gave up and found semi-frog kicking was about the only kick I could do without completely loosing the little foothold I had in the boot/fins. The downside was my feet started cramping up.:acclaim: :depressed: On the 2nd dive, I swopped from the Mares Power Plana (reg) to my Tusa Platina Plus with spring straps (sm). The good news was my feet stayed in the boot/fin...the bad was my poor feet were so squished it was painful and my feet were rather cold (wore wool sock with Weezle sock over it...as well as the MK3 undergarment plus Smartwool and Under armor heat gear under that).

I am not sure if maybe different footwear would help/solve the problem but other than the feet issue, I like the suit. The price point is also a major plus. Unfortunately, being here in Guam, I do not have any local shops that sell drysuits so cannot try and test different suits.

The other suit I was looking at was a custom Santi which from what I have seen on the website looks good but kinda worried about having the same issues here as well. That and possibly not being able to see/try them on in person. I went to a number of dive shops in the Puget Sound area but none of the dive shops I visited sold Santi.

TIA

~KK

I've had no experience wearing the attached fusion boots (although dived with several people who like them), only wetsuit boots or rock boots when diving the Fusion. I suggest giving one of the two a try before crossing it off your list as an option. Hope that helps.

I dive a Fusion One AND I did not see the need to spend the extra $50 to $70 for the fusion boot/rock boot . I went to Walmart purchased a cheap pair of Chuck tailor (canvas sneekers) for $8:00 and they work great they do not slide off with my OMS Slipstreams w/spring straps

As already listed, there are a lot of options for footwear with the Fusion socks. I use a pair of McGill boat shoes, but I have in the past used Chuck Taylors and wetsuit booties (did not like the latter very much, because they didn't permit lofting of the insulation on my feet and my feet got cold). Finkeepers also help keep everything more solid.

Santi makes some really nice rock boots with Velcro closures -- my husband has them. I HATE having to contort myself to tie laces on anything when I'm all suited up and resemble the Michelin Man.

I have the Santo with the attached boots. I use finkeepers on them and they stay very stable. Be aware that, if you allow too much air into the feet of a dry suit, the boots/fins will always feel unstable, and can come off.

Hmmm...I'll have to try the wetsuit/converse shoes and see if it helps my feet feel a bit more secure. Perhaps the LDS I went to has put bigger sized rock boots into their rental stock. They had one but it was a size too small.

How do the fin keepers work with the spring straps? It looks like it is mostly used in conjunction with full foot fins. Does the ankle part of the fin keeper get pulled up over the spring strap?

Other than the feet issue, I really liked the Fusion. Not quite sure if I liked the wrist and neck rings that were installed but that one is doable. Especially given my current and future location where I will most likely not be able to readily get my drysuit seals replaced. Is it terribly hard to replace them yourself or are there smaller seal replacement rings?

I do think too much air did contribute to the feet looseness. Seemed like the first five-ten minutes or so of the dive, the fins were a little wiggly which I didn't mind since feet were in fin pocket and were warm. I tried not to allow too much air to accumulate but guess that's part of the learning curve.
biggrin.gif

The fin keepers go on the boots before the fins are put on. They help prevent excess air in the feet, and keep the boots more solid.

An update to my (previous) dilemma.
So I bit the bullet and went ahead and purchased the Whites Fusion figuring the positives outweighed the negative. I ended up getting the Evo III and just gotta say those are some comfy but secure boots. I did use the fin keeper over the top as well. Glad I had since I was completely unaware one of my shoes had unlaced itself to the fin keeper during the dive till afterwards during SI I happened to look down at the ground at something else and noticed.
And the thing that really put the icing on the cake was the green and gray tech skin special sale from DRIS. Colors are GOOD...at least they are in my book. :)
Oh, I was also able to get the new quick neck system install. Although I had only used the neck title system a few times, the quick neck was definitely much comfier in terms of comfort and not being as bulky feeling. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom