Drysuit + Pool Water = Discoloration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got my new TLS350 (red/black) I'd love to take it in the pool in my backyard to figure out how buoyant my undergarments are but I'm afraid the pool will discolor the red in the drysuit. Am I correct assuming this?

One relatively short dip followed by a good rinsing will be fine.

If its your pool you'll be smart enough not to bring the cholorine level down temporarily. Besides the slight drop won't make any difference - in most cities the tap water gets chlorinated, but nobody worries about it when rinsing their gear.

Just rinse the suit off well when you are done and let it dry.

And here is another news flash - ever notice pink Coke cans on the bottom? They are still red when you bring them to the surface, it's just the light absorbtion that occurs under 20-30 ft of water that makes them look pink. The same thing will apply to your red dry suit. Divers who are uncomfortable with pink need to stay away from red.

If its your pool you'll be smart enough not to bring the cholorine level down temporarily. Besides the slight drop won't make any difference - in most cities the tap water gets chlorinated, but nobody worries about it when rinsing their gear.

Just rinse the suit off well when you are done and let it dry.

And here is another news flash - ever notice pink Coke cans on the bottom? They are still red when you bring them to the surface, it's just the light absorbtion that occurs under 20-30 ft of water that makes them look pink. The same thing will apply to your red dry suit. Divers who are uncomfortable with pink need to stay away from red.

As you yourself said when you bring them to the surface they turn red again. A drysuit dyed pink due to high chlorine levels in the pool isnt going to turn red again after I rinse it off. :wink:

Time to get out the tester to see just how high the chlorine level is...

Back
Top Bottom