Drysuit leaking from exhaust valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand how the dump valve works, what could be causing the valve to leak and why does closing it a little stop it from leaking?

Thanks!

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 03:29 PM ----------

I looked at the valve and it doesn't look like it can be opened? It looks glued together?

Do you remember the link or title to that post showing how to take it apart?

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 04:24 PM ----------

Great! Going to try this!

I found it but it was posted over on the DiveMatrix which appears to have been shut down. I'll keep looking, although I'm pretty sure it was Lynne so hopefully when she catches up with this thread she can point you in the right direction.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 04:28 AM ----------

Yes, it was Lynne but she only looks to have posted it on DM.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-287097.html

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 04:29 AM ----------

Maybe of some help.

Diving: Si-tech (bare) - exhaust valve (zaw

Yes, I only posted it on Dive Matrix, and the Wayback Machine doesn't have the pages :( However, the new valves appear to be different from the old one that I took apart, and I'm not sure how I would disassemble the new ones. The slot for the screwdriver to pry it apart is no longer there.

The springs, as stated, have to be calibrated precisely, and over time, they seem to lose a little "springiness" and need to be a bit more compressed to continue to keep the valve closed. These are extremely primitive devices, except for the need to have just the right spring.

Yes, I only posted it on Dive Matrix, and the Wayback Machine doesn't have the pages :( However, the new valves appear to be different from the old one that I took apart, and I'm not sure how I would disassemble the new ones. The slot for the screwdriver to pry it apart is no longer there.

The springs, as stated, have to be calibrated precisely, and over time, they seem to lose a little "springiness" and need to be a bit more compressed to continue to keep the valve closed. These are extremely primitive devices, except for the need to have just the right spring.

DRIS scuba sell the tool for the newer (?) version.

I found it but it was posted over on the DiveMatrix which appears to have been shut down. I'll keep looking, although I'm pretty sure it was Lynne so hopefully when she catches up with this thread she can point you in the right direction.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 04:28 AM ----------

Yes, it was Lynne but she only looks to have posted it on DM.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-287097.html

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 04:29 AM ----------

Maybe of some help.

Diving: Si-tech (bare) - exhaust valve (zaw

Hey thanks much for the links!

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 09:22 AM ----------

Hi Lynne,
Do you happen to still have the photos you took of the disassembly? Just for reference should I need to open it up some day.
Thanks!

I'm sure I have them somewhere, but I will go look at my new SiTech valves again -- I do believe that the technique I used is no longer relevant, because the design of the valves has changed.

I'm sure I have them somewhere, but I will go look at my new SiTech valves again -- I do believe that the technique I used is no longer relevant, because the design of the valves has changed.

ok thank you!

Back
Top Bottom