Drysuit leaking from exhaust valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My drysuit (Santi E-motion) has developed a leak at the exhaust valve (SiTech). I feel the water coming in when I dump. Is there anything I can do to remedy this, or do I need to pay someone to fix it?

Thanks!

You could try hosing or blowing it out, to clear any crud in the seals.

If it is damaged... I just bought a new Apeks valve for $40 on ebay, and it took about 5 minutes to install in my DUI suit.

Frequently, just clicking the valve down a couple of clicks will stop the leakage and still allow effortless dumping.

My drysuit (Santi E-motion) has developed a leak at the exhaust valve (SiTech). I feel the water coming in when I dump. Is there anything I can do to remedy this, or do I need to pay someone to fix it?

Thanks!

I've not taken one apart, yet, and although believe it is possible to take one apart without tools ( IIRC TS&M did) I'm not sure how easy it is. I see DRIS sells the tool required, I believe you need two. Personally if a good soak and blow doesn't solve the issue I'd just buy a new valve. Easier and a lot less hassle. Good luck.

One or two clicks closed should stop the leak without compromising dumping.

One piece of good advice that I heard recently is also to keep it closed all the way during surface swims. Taking the valve out of the suit is pretty easy. When I took mine out, it had grains here and there, and I think soaking it may have helped a little.

I'd try just running some water through it from the inside of the suit.

If that doesn't totally solve your problem, just replace it. Part of the ongoing costs of owning a drysuit is replacing valves, seals, and zippers.

I think you should first try PfcAJ suggestion above.

Frequently, just clicking the valve down a couple of clicks will stop the leakage and still allow effortless dumping.

I don't understand how the dump valve works, what could be causing the valve to leak and why does closing it a little stop it from leaking?

Thanks!

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 03:29 PM ----------

I've not taken one apart, yet, and although believe it is possible to take one apart without tools ( IIRC TS&M did) I'm not sure how easy it is. I see DRIS sells the tool required, I believe you need two. Personally if a good soak and blow doesn't solve the issue I'd just buy a new valve. Easier and a lot less hassle. Good luck.

I looked at the valve and it doesn't look like it can be opened? It looks glued together?

Do you remember the link or title to that post showing how to take it apart?

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 04:24 PM ----------

I'd try just running some water through it from the inside of the suit.

If that doesn't totally solve your problem, just replace it. Part of the ongoing costs of owning a drysuit is replacing valves, seals, and zippers.

Great! Going to try this!

I don't understand how the dump valve works, what could be causing the valve to leak and why does closing it a little stop it from leaking?

There's a spring keeping the valve closed. The more you open the valve, the less tension on that spring. If the spring is too slack, water can get in. If the spring is too tight, the valve needs too much air pressure to vent.

A couple of clicks down from wide open usually gives the right balance between too slack (water gets in) and too tight (air can't vent if you just lift your elbow). I even know some divers who prefer to dive with the valve closed. No prob, you just have to vent manually like you do with the BCD.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Back
Top Bottom