drysuit insulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walterberry

Reaction score
I dive with a dui cf200 and thinsulate 400 for insulation in 46 degree water in BC. I'm always warm, but I find the 400 bulky. I looked at a Bare t100 and t200 on the net and wonder how bulky they are in comparison and how warm they will keep me. I'm also open to suggestions for other other types of insulation including diy; I've tried 3 layers of fleece, but its hard to get them all smooth under the drysuit. Please let the suggestions rain down.

I dive a Trilam (Bare ATR HD Tech and DUI TLS350) with a Bare CT200, and find that I need two other thin layers along with it to keep warm when the water is in the low 40s. A thin Patgonia long underwear set plus a "cheepo" fleece layer.

Just received a Bare 400g "Ultraloft" and am hoping that eliminates the need for the cheepo fleece. It is no much bulkier than the CT200, and much less bulky than the DUI 400. The Bare also comes in a ML/T that just fits me better than the DUI.

Having seen them both in person the 100 and 200 are less bulky for sure. If I was to buy one based on the fact you're still diving a 400 in the balmy temps and you're comfortable I'd get the 200 gr version and not skimp.

For me I'd say find a 200 gr thinsulate undergarment and you'll be fine, but fleece is fine as well. I'm still pretty warm in that, well so warm that that's my Winter stuff for temps below 40, above that I use a 100 gr fleece. I dive a Viking suit, sort of a rubber shell suit. I don't think Viking undergarments are better and that's why I'm comfortable, it's just me. I do like the Red color however.

So go 200 gr thinsulate if you can, fleece if not.

I own a bare t-200 and I have honestly never felt warmer in my cf200 drysuit than I have in my wetsuit. The t-200 feels very thin. ( i know that is the point of thinsulate) It just feels way too thin. I am always hot and sweating on land and I was shivering underwater in 50 degrees for an hour. Maybe my expierence is unique but I would stay away from the bare thinsulate undies. My lds personel have also told me that they haven't had good luck with thinsulate. They told me to try a fleece undergarment. I am in the process of ordering one.

This is probably a wrong thought, but thinsulate is thinsulate regardless of whom sews it into a suit. Sure you have different types, but I believe for the most part one will find them similar.

I guarantee thinsulate will keep you warm if the drysuit floods, at least my Viking Thinsulate kept me warm when the Dui drysuit I did during the demo days flooded, I honestly didn't know it had flooded as bad as it did. I knew it leaked a bit, but I was soaked and was warm.

For what it's worth I have a buddy who dives the Bare suit we're talking about and he's told me he gets a little cold in it. I've never got cold when I use my thinsulate undergarment, I've been cool in the fleece stuff however but not cold.

I'd say it all depends on how a person reacts to cool temps as to what they must use as an undergarment. Fit is very important however. I have tried on the undergarment we're talking about and I thought it would keep me warm based on how it felt to me in the store.

Thinsulate does wear out however. Washing it is pretty hard on it and will cause it's demise sooner rather than later, so don't wash them too often.

Thanks for the info. I agree that the thinsulate material is the same in all the insulations. I just find the dui bulky in that it doesn't taper to the wrists and ankles, which gave me bunching problems at first until I became more methodical at putting on my drysuit. Maybe I'm just a gear head always looking for a better fix or maybe I just want more gear!

Back
Top Bottom