Drysuit info, type, manufacturer, features???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underfrogg

Registered
Reaction score
Central Virginia, inbetween W'boro, C'ville and L'
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning to all from the mountains of Virginia. I am a shoe string outfit up here and want to make the best decitions on equipment that I can research and figure out what to do. So I have a few questions and I know you guys have all the answers. I want to dive off the coast of the North and South Carolina (a little cooler), I hope to do wrecks, I have wide feet (so i will probably need to have a wider that normal boot). I like DUI stuff but see a lot of other suits out there that have a lot lower sticker price. What I am looking for is comment on the suits that REALLY work but cost less than the top of the line stuff, and will alow me to change the boots to a size that fit. Thanks so much for you help. Dave

DUI makes excellent suits...but they have the reputation of being higher priced than their competition. Certainly there are a lot of different vendors and I can only speak to the suits I have dove in the past.

Poseidon - neoprene drysuit (Jetsuit). It was fine...although it was also 15 years ago and there have been some advancements made as far as materials where I wouldn't buy another one.

Off Shore Systems - Nautilus (Bi-lam). This was a great recreational drysuit. It is relatively inexpensive by today's standards and I dove that suit for better than 15 years with the expense being replacing the seals a few times.

Bare - Tri-Lam XD Tech. This is the suit I am diving now and while more expensive than the 2 above, it was still considerably cheaper than anything DUI had. By far the best suit I have owned. Very tough, and I find it very easy to don and doff.

Another suit I notice getting a lot of play here, and have seen quite a few using are suits from White. Owners swear by them and they are not expensive. Do a little searching on the board here and I am sure you will find other opinions.

Getting the right boot size is a matter of getting fit for your suit, which you should do if you are going to go to the expense of buying one. Personally I opted for soft boots on my Bare. They are like a neoprene sock, and I bought a pair of 3mm Mares lowcut wetsuit boots (hardsoled) that were sized larger than the drysuit boots. Perfect fit, and not even a hint of foot cramping.

Last edited:
I second the Bare Tri-Lam vote. For a relatively inexpensive suit the Bare suit does take quite a lot of beating. You may still get them with the undergarment offer they were running a couple of months back.

As for your wide feet and DUI, while it may be true that DUI makes awesome dry suits and offers custom sizing for the same this is also based on a finite amount of patterns they currently have in inventory. They will accommodate the width of your feet by up-sizing the boots for your suit resulting in a boot that may be far too long for your feet.

The Pinnacle Evolution 2 dry suit is another great option. Constructed from Cordura based tri-laminate makes this suit a real bruiser where taking punishment is concerned. If you have a local dealer for these suits it is well the effort to go and see one up close.

And then there is a relatively new comer to this arena called Gravity Zero(Gravity Zero - Technical Diving Equipment - Produzione mute stagne in neoprene, trilaminato). The G-Zero Ranger TXT is also a Tri-laminate suit that has cordura overlays strategically placed over the parts of the suit that will most likely get beaten up the most.

I currently own a DUI TLS350 and a G-Zero Ranger TXT and between the two my vote goes to the G-Zero suit. For the a little more than the base price of a stock DUI TLS 350 you can get a G-Zero Ranger TXT that comes standard with everything DUI considers options.

I own a Diamond trilam - much like a DUI TLS 350 but with a heavier zipper and fabric. They are no longer in business, but the point is you can find DUI quality or better in a trilam for less than DUI price. A portion of the premium price for any DUI suit is, sadly, for the name. A trilam of any brand is fast drying, fairly durable fairly lightweight, easy to patch, and can adjust to a wide range of water temps. The trilam has historically been a very good choice for the "do everything" role. The downside is that the non stretch material requires a larger and baggier fit, particulalry in self donning models. In addition a suit that is large enough for freedom of movement with heavy underwear is really baggy in light weight underwear and in the reverse case a good fit with lightweight underwear means restricted mobility with heavy under garments.

I also own an O'Neil 5/7mm neoprene dry suit. The advantages of uncompressed neoprene suits are that they are stretchy and you can get a snugger and more streamlined fit in a suit that swims much like a wet suit with less air movement and less need for gas in the suit for either warmth or to eliminate squeeze. In my experience, a neoprene suit is hard to beat for warmth in really cold water (40 degrees or less) and their improved steamlining makes them faster in the water. The current neoprene suits are head and shoulders above the older Poseiden Unisuit as the cut and valve arrangement is such that they do not require significantly more weight than a trilam with heavy underwear. Cost wise they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a trilam. The downside is that you cannot make then run cooler so they do not offer the warm water options that a trilam does.

Compressed neoprene offers some flexibility and a bit snugger fit than a trilam, but like uncompressed neoprene suits they are heavy, slow drying and harder to repair. They offer some advantages of both neoprene and trilam suits but carry the disadvantages as well.

I recently bought a White's Fusion and I have to say that so far I am impressed. It is a different approach to drysuit design and construction. It uses a very baggy bladder layer contained inside either a spandex or 1mm neoprene and spandex skin (available with pockets) that creates compression and streamlining without restricting mobility. The advantage is a reasonably priced suit (around $1300) in a few stock sizes that will fit well in both lightweight and heavy underwear and swim almost as well as a wet suit in the water. Donning the suit is a bit easier than donning a snug fitting neoprene suit but is a bit harder than donning a loose trilam. The zipper however is great. It runs from the top of one shoulder in front under the inlet valve and up to the top of the other shoulder. This makes the neck seal and top portion of the suit more or less a lid you flip over and close after you are in the suit and allows easy self donning without an excessively long torso or restriction in mobility.

I am not yet sure how durable it is (although Fdog reports having well over 100 dives in his) but it promises to truly be the one suit that will do it all with no significant compromises and do it at a good price.

The boots on the Fusion are just a sock that goes into a rock boot style boot (think Converse canvas high top tennis shoe on steroids). This style of boot is available on other brands of suits, most noteably DUI, and is worth considering as it makes it easier to accommodate wide or high arched feet without the cramping issues you can get in normal dry suit boots without having to go to boots that are 2 or 3 sizes too large.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom