Drysuit inflator valve, how tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday I had a very wet dive. When I got back on the surface, I noticed that the inflator valve on my drysuit was almost unscrewed. I tightened it back down "hand tight" and had two dry dives after that, but is that the correct tightness? Should I tighten it more? I was worried about stripping plastic threads.

I only have experience with the removable valves on a Fusion suit, but hand-tight is pretty much what I did. The Fusion has a nylon washer on the inside to allow the inside valve part to rotate easier when tightening it down, so if there' something like that on your suit, make sure it's assembled in the correct order.

A small strap wrench can help get a well-tightenend valve off. I wouldn't "crank" too heavily with a strap wrench when tightening though.

Henrik

What Henrik said. I don't use tools to tighten mine, unless you count a husband with stronger hands as a tool . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom