drysuit inflation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveskat

New
Reaction score
hi, on my first dive in a dry suit, i was going to go to a deeper depth. i had quite a bit of air in my suit, and when i dived, all of that air went to my feet. my left fin got popped off and so did my boot! i was trying to keep my self at the depth we were at but i couldnt. my uncle grabbed me and dumped all of his air but i had that much in my suit, i started to lift him aswell! in the end, he just thought sod it, and let me go! we were only in bout 10m of water but it still scared me because it was only my 3rd dive after completing the open water course! i went in with about 210 bar and came out with about 35, and it was only a 22 minuit dive!!!!!

Dont put any in if you dont need it!
I dont until ~40 ft. neoprene squeeze happens deeper than trilam squeeze:D

Hey…

Glad you are ok… but there is so much to say I just don’t know where to begin. So I will say this:

Please, Please, Please do not get into the water again until an Instructor checks you out. Spend time in a pool with the suit. Get your weighting down. Learn how to recover from a runaway ascent. Develop better team skills. Learn how much air is needed to defeat a squeeze. Learn how to work with your BC.

An ascent from depth could have been much worse. You are right to be scared. Now use the fear to become a stronger diver. A dry suit is another piece of gear that really can add task loading to your diving.

Dive safe.

It's a good thing this happened in shallow water and without any injury. Nobody wants to admit it, but I think this happens to everyone sometime early in their drysuit diving experience. Mine was at about 10 feet and I realized... ooops I'm going up!

The class told me how to prepare for it and how to deal with it, but it was real diving experience that hammered home the importance of getting "shoulder high" and starting to dump air immediately upon ascent. Don't worry, you've learned your lesson and you'll get the hang of it!

I'd want a lot more drysuit experience befor edoing any technical diving, it would have been bad to run away when I was under a decompression obligation! But don't sweat the high air usage on the dive, you'll always use more in stressful situations (first drysuit dive!) and in cold water (which is why you were wearing it, right?)

Take a course man! You will learn how do use the dry so feets don't pop out and how to turn head up when too much air gets into the legs.

You will be able to practice in in a pool with no possibility of injury.

Nobody should dive dry without a drysuit course.

BTW. Very glad you are ok. Dit the dry suit became wet during the event (at the croch level)?

You're lucky you didn't pop out of the water. Sounds like you put waaaay too much air into your suit. Just put enough air into the suit to offset squeeze. Don't add air to control your bouyancy.

You should definitely get some instruction on how to use your suit, and practice in a controlled environment before you end up hurting yourself or your uncle.

the problem with taking a drysuit course is they instruct you to use your drysuit for buoyency... so don't bother with the course. find someone who KNOWS that the suit is for insulation and have them help you.

EDIT:my 100th post..i got 3stars now!!!

If this is what you got from your course, get your money back.
Dry suit course does not show it this way (or at least should not). I got mine 4 years ago and using it as a buoyancy was definitively not the case.

I learned to inflated it properly (just enough), and practice all possible of situations where things go wrong.

mattroz:
the problem with taking a drysuit course is they instruct you to use your drysuit for buoyency... so don't bother with the course. find someone who KNOWS that the suit is for insulation and have them help you.

EDIT:my 100th post..i got 3stars now!!!

Sorry, but not all courses teach this. I was trained thru ACUC and we were not trained as such. It again depends on the instructor.

All this said WTH is a new diver using a drysuit for in the 1st place. :censored: foolish

:lightningz

Back
Top Bottom