Drysuit Hygiene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm . . . interesting idea, Marci. I'll have to try it.

I love the smell of benzoin, too.

I don't think the catheter is as much of an issue as is the tubing.

I would be fastidious about your pee valve tubing and catheter hygeine while on a live-aboard. You are at risk of developing a urinary tract infection (even if you are male), which could be bad news if you are diving in remote locations on a live-aboard.

I am speaking from personal experience here. I got sick during a trip where I was diving 3 and 4 times daily for 2 weeks in my dry suit, some dives were 2-3 hours long. Fevers and uncontrolled shaking chills were not my idea of fun. I wasn't really careful about flushing the tubing and I paid the price.

-flush your pee valve tubing with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, or whatever other kind of alcohol you can find) after every dive, then flush with water to prevent alcohol from back-flushing into your urethra.

-You should use a new catheter at least daily. Like Jim said, you can change it more frequently if you're a masochist. But a new one every morning should be fine.

-Drink plenty of fluids and urinate often.

-Try to disconnect your pee valve tubing and empty your bladder in the normal fashion after every dive, especially if you used your pee valve underwater. You don't need to remove the catheter, just disconnect the catheter from the tubing so that you can void freely without any resistance.

-Talk with your doctor about getting some antibiotics to take with you on your trip, just in case. Depending on your drug allergies, some good choices are Bactrim DS, Macrobid, and Cipro. Macrobid is good because most bugs aren't usually resistant to it. Bactrim DS (cheap) and Cipro (expensive) are mainstay antibiotics for the treatment of urinary tract infections, but resistance is common, so have some Macrobid for a back-up.

-As with any drug, there is the risk of severe allergic reactions. So your choice of antibiotics should also be based on drugs that are proven safe for you, given that you will be in a remote location.

-Take many more catheters than you need so that you can always change them feely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom