Drysuit Hygiene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am about to embark on my first liveaboard with my drysuit. I expect to dive 4-5 times each day for 3-4 days. I have done many drysuit dives and several liveaboards but never combined the experiences.

I assume that I should flush out my p-valve and related tubing daily. How frequently should the condom be changed?

I am about to embark on my first liveaboard with my drysuit. I expect to dive 4-5 times each day for 3-4 days. I have done many drysuit dives and several liveaboards but never combined the experiences.

I assume that I should flush out my p-valve and related tubing daily. How frequently should the condom be changed?
I would flush the tubing after each dive if there is more than a few minutes between dives. As too the condom- how much pain can you stand? I would think I'd change it daily at least. Fresh one each am.

No one has an educated medical opinion about this???

Change the condom daily. Remove it when you are done with the day's diving.

Well technically you should remember that urine isn't sterile once it's started moving from the bladder. It's probably a very minor risk but there is probably a potential for a UTI. Considering what a condom is, it is a boon for bacterial growth, so if you put it back on you're just unnecessarily exposing yourself.

I think a bigger question would be: Why wouldn't you change condom's regularly?

Well, I think we can safely assume that the OP is not expecting to leave the condom on for the week... what's your definition of regularly? Every dive? Every 3 hours? Every day?

Since I leave my She-P glued on for around 5 hrs, I don't think that the condom needs to be changed any more often than that.

Well, I think we can safely assume that the OP is not expecting to leave the condom on for the week... what's your definition of regularly? Every dive? Every 3 hours? Every day?

Exactly.

I assume there is an optimal compromise between the abrasion of excessive changing and the UTI probability of infrequent changing.

Agree with TSandM. I'd bet that a more pressing issue would be getting a condom catheter to stay on securely all day. Tincture of Benzoin can help but it works REALLY well. You're also left with TinBen residue on your hardware. You can remove it by rubbing it vigorously with an alcohol swab, but I can't recommend that in good conscience.
Cheers,
DDM

ooh, tinben...i love that smell.

lynne, i wonder how tinben would work pre she-p application...snag some, give it a try, and report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom