Drysuit hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jashaw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know that drysuits have specific hoses for their inflation since the hoses have an orifice that restricts flow. Is it ABSOLUTELY required to use only drysuit hoses for drysuit inflation? Mine has a crack in it and needs replacing. I see BC inflation hoses are much cheaper in general. I'll probably be getting the specific hose since it is made just for that application.
Thanks, Jason.

Most LP BC hoses work on my DUI & Bare. If it fits it usually works.

The main difference is the large collar used to pop the hose off. Check this site out, it has good prices on hoses.

Dry suit hoses

I've never used a "drysuit" hose... I didn't know there was a flow restrictor in the hoses, just saw it on the DiveRite website. I don't know if they're all like that, but must drysuit hoses I've seen just have bigger collars on them to help with gloves.
I don't know how a 1mm reduction would help loss of air in a LP free flow... you're pretty much screwed if one of your LP hoses is blown.

I wouldn't worry about getting a specific one. I dive sidemount so I use really really short inflator hoses and both of mine are really really short, so I just use normal inflator hoses.

My suit is USIA so has SiTech valves and the same hoses work on those as on my DiveRite and Halcyon wings... Can't see paying a premium for a 1mm reduction at the end that won't really help much.
BC & Drysuit Hose Quick Release Slider, Piranha Dive ManufacturingPiranha Dive Manufacturing
I have a couple of those on mine which help a lot with gloves,

I replaced the inflator valve on my drysuit with a Si-Tech valve. You can get either Int'l or Cejn valves...to match your LPI valve type. These are essentially the same connection as your BCD LPI valve...and allow interchangeability between the drysuit hose and the LPI hose.

Si-Tech Valve article Divernet

The benefits of this were:

1) I only needed to carry one spare LPI hose in my spare-parts kit.
2) I could swap the LPI hose onto my drysuit, and vice versa, during the dive if needed.

You can also buy converters that allow interchangeability between Int´l and Cejn type valves.

28100%20converter.jpg

Thanks for the help. My andy's has a Si-Tech on it. I honestly dont think that my original has a restricter in it....and by the looks of it it's the same end as a regular BC inflator hose that i've been easily getting off and on with my heavy gloves on.
DSC07603.jpg

DSC07602.jpg

I replaced the hose for my Fusion with a MiFlex LP hose of equal length and added QD adapter with a larger collar (easier to manipulate with thick gloves).
Most valves will connect with any standard QD fitting.

They have the same fitting, but usually the dry suit hose is much longer than an inflator hose. Check the lengths and make sure there is sufficient slack when you're geared up.

A couple years ago, Si-tech had a batch of drysuit hoses that were recalled due to a plastic orifice restriction insert installed on the first stage end of the hose. The design was very poor with nothing more than friction holding the part in place, and apparently there were a couple instances in which the insert was sucked into the first stage through the LP port. Not good. The official fix was simply to remove the insert. I really haven't noticed any difference in drysuit inflation, comparing the hose with restriction insert installed to hose with insert removed.

I really like the quick-disconnect on this XS Scuba inflater hose. Just push-on to lock into place, and the easy-to-grip metal collar pulls back easily for disconnecting the union. Very easy to operate with thick wetsuit gloves or drygloves.

I have a 22-inch one for my BCD, and I wouldn't hesitate to get a longer version of the same hose to be used for drysuit inflation. I dive a single tank configuration. For me, the 32-inch hose is an appropriate length for a drysuit hose. YMMV. The $31 price tag isn't bad either. :)

Hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom