Drysuit Height/Weight Limits for Vacation Snorkeling in Iceland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big_t2100

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi Everyone - New to the Forum to ask these specific questions......

My wife and I are planning a trip to Iceland to snorkel between the tectonic plates among other things....
(for example, this excursion https://www.viator.com/tours/Reykjavik/Silfra-Snorkeling-Tour-Self-Drive/d905-39217P7)

I am 6ft-3in/ 1.9m tall and weigh 295lbs/134kg. According to every snorkeling excursion, Maximum height and weight is 6ft7in (200cm) and 264lbs (120kg).

According to the standard definition of obesity in relation to BMI, I am an overweight. However, I am a strongman and a multiple ironman triathlon finisher and very healthy. Yes, I am an overweight by BMI terms, but there is no doubt that I am fit for this excursion. My triathlon wetsuits are usually the largest size available and serve me just fine in cold Northern California coastal waters.

What are the safety reasons for weight limits in drysuits?
Do you think the snorkeling companies will allow my size to go on the excursion?
Will I be able to fit in a drysuit?

Lol looks like it's not worth it. They rent you just a dry suit that probably won't fit right. I would use a Kokatate gore Tex dry suit with a thick one-piece full body industrial coat like they sell at Grainger, I used that to go jet ski in the winter in the Northeast and it handled it no problem. Anything less than that I think you will be cold.

I'm guessing just personally contact and send them a pic of your fitness in watersports, they will find a way to serve and include you! (?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom