Drysuit glue help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c12kipp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey just looking for recommendations on what type of glue everyone is useing to repair and/or replace boots on your drysuits?

Many thanks!

In Canada, not having easy access to the special glues people talk about, I bought several brands and tested them.

I tried the contact cements from Home Hardware and Canadian Tire, and some contact cement I bought from Rubberline Products (a rubber supplier). For the retail glues I chose the heavy duty flammable variety. Having worked with contact cements years ago I knew there was a big difference. Rubberline had heavy duty glue that I think people use for gluing rubber for industrial purposes.

I then took a used bicycle inner tube, cut identical sized pieces for testing. I cleaned (acetone) and sanded the pieces identically making sure not to touch the sanded areas. I test glued each glue and after a day of curing I tried to separate each. The glue that worked the best was from Rubberline. I've glued on several wrist and neck seals and even one neoprene boot. As contact cement you use a heat gun to soften the glue for removal and you can use acetone if you want to dissolve it.

I recommend you also get seam tape (basically a 1" strip of rubber) to finish seams with. It adds some strength but also protects the seams from rolling open. It's glued on with contact cement as well. There is heat-seal seam tape that I haven't tried.

Rubberline is a generic rubber company. I think all cities have something like them.

Contact the drysuit manufacturer for advice. IIRC, Whites said that using certain common glues for scuba applications wold void their warranty.

If you're looking at repairing boots, like you have a crack or cut in the sole or top, use a urethane glue like Aquaseal or Shoo Glue (from Canadian Tire.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom