Drysuit for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I tried a drysuit for the first time in my dry suit specialty class. I was in the water for about 35 seconds before it leaked and i got soaked. I was in a pool so i wasnt cold...but it still suckes getting wet when you are in your street clothes

My wetsuit never disapoints me in that way. Notr has my drysuit.........yet.

Was it a suit defect, poor fit or diver error?

Pete

I'm not sure what happened, but common things to look out for are seals that are too loose, hair trapped under a seal and extends beyond it and then actual defects.

To get soaked would be a pretty major leak in 35 seconds, I can't imagine something like that happening in a pool that fast without a large tear or visible hole, or zipper that's unzipped.

I might define soaked differently.

So, make sure the seals are solid and fit you properly. The single biggest mistake you'll find in rental drysuits are the seals, expecially the neck seal. That seal takes a lot of abuse due to it's being stretched over your head each time and many people aren't aware of how to properly don that seal and just pull it over the head when they put it on and off.

Latex seals better in many cases for those with bony or real thin necks wrists, neoprene may be tougher but is more likely to leak or not confrom to odd shapes.

Hope you have a better class next time, I assume you found what caused the leak? What part of your clothes got wet, most wet I should say. That identifies the source.

This is a stupid question,but must be asked. The loops at the end of the drysuit underwear did you take your thumbs out of them when you finished donning the suit. I have seen 3 people upset with flooded drysuits,even more upset when they realized they were supposed to remove their thumbs on the underwear loops,and tuck the stringer under the wrist seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom