Drysuit dump valve and/or lack of skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off, this is not a DIR specific question but I put it in this forum in the hope that the answers I get will come from people who are familiar with how I am "trying" to dive.

Recently, I noticed that the dump valve on my drysuit suit seems to be further back on my shoulder than what others around me have. Here is a recent picture:
http://baue.org/images/galleries/d/21322-2/DSC_0393.jpg

I find that I have break trim considerably to vent my drysuit. Actually, break trim and also roll to one side. Aside from looking like a person suffering from a seizure, the act of venting my drysuit sometimes puts me out of position relative to my dive buddies thus requiring quite a bit of backkicking to get back into place.

My question is, does it look like my dump valve is too far backwards or is this one of those "dive more, you idiot" type of things? The dump valve is leaking and requires service (I think) so it seems like an opportune time to move the valve if that is what is appropriate.

First off, this is not a DIR specific question but I put it in this forum in the hope that the answers I get will come from people who are familiar with how I am "trying" to dive.

Recently, I noticed that the dump valve on my drysuit suit seems to be further back on my shoulder than what others around me have. Here is a recent picture:
http://baue.org/images/galleries/d/21322-2/DSC_0393.jpg

I find that I have break trim considerably to vent my drysuit. Actually, break trim and also roll to one side. Aside from looking like a person suffering from a seizure, the act of venting my drysuit sometimes puts me out of position relative to my dive buddies thus requiring quite a bit of backkicking to get back into place.

My question is, does it look like my dump valve is too far backwards or is this one of those "dive more, you idiot" type of things? The dump valve is leaking and requires service (I think) so it seems like an opportune time to move the valve if that is what is appropriate.
The valve position looks fine. I'd think about my underwear restricting airflow to it. As far as having it "serviced" there's not much to it. Unscrew it, disassemble it (easy to do), clean the parts (if needed) and reassemble.

Looks fine to me too. Mine is similar on my DC suit and works great. My ND suit has it way too far forward, trust me that's icky. In fact for some dives, I'd probably click down to prevent all my argon wooshing away too easily.

My [wild] guess is that you are a little light on weight and having to roll around to get every last little poof of gas out of your legs/suit. Best solution to get past all the rolling is to add a pound or two.

As far as it leaking, if its not fixable with a soak/flush with warm water then I just end up replacing them.

Best,
RJ

Yeah, what they said. I usually find it hardest to vent the suit when I'm a little light, and I'm trying to get every last bit out of the suit. If adding a couple pounds helps, then that's the problem. If you add 2-4 lbs and its still a PITA, then look into what might be restricting the flow. Either there is some junk in the inlet, or your undergarment is blocking flow to the port...and that's exactly what thal and RJ said...
Tom

Your drysuit dump valve looks like it's in the standard position.

When I first took Fundies, dumping gas out of my drysuit while in a trim position was hit and miss for me too. So yes, I think diving it more may help.

Also, as you ascend, you may want to hold your arm up and out to fill it with gas, then when you want to exhaust, you just bend your arm in and lift your left elbow up a bit to dump gas.

The position looks just about exactly where I have my dump valves. I find that extending my shoulder (moving my arm so the elbow is kind of behind my back) will dump fairly readily most of the time, without rolling too much or getting out of trim. A few degrees of roll to the right will encourage venting when I've waiting too long to start it. Sometimes, I do have to go a bit head up to move the air from the lower part of the suit to the front, but if I do it early enough, it's not too much.

And yes, breaking trim in midwater is my bugaboo, but it's not to vent; it's because of disorientation.

I agree with the others above that venting problems are often the result of having too little gas in the suit. In an effort not to carry too much gas in the suit, some divers end up with not enough. The result is a hard to vent suit.

That just sounds strange. If you're warm and not squeezed by the suit, you can nevertheless have too little air in it?

That just sounds strange. If you're warm and not squeezed by the suit, you can nevertheless have too little air in it?

"not squeezed" is difficult to define.

A lot of people do a weight check at the surface. They are vertical and dump all of their gas, then descend a touch. They end up with every last blip of gas removed (from being vertical) and weighted for the shrink wrapped effect (from the descent).

Now just go diving. You are at your 20 or 10ft stops. You are weighted for shrink wrap-age but without any desire to go vertical to help create that effect like you did during your weight check. Nor any wish to ascend a little shallower then drop back down like you did during the weight check.

You will struggle to attempting to vent every last little bit gas from the suit that you so easily did while vertical on the surface.

Add 2lbs and life is alot easier.

Add 2lbs and life is alot easier.

I agree with that, but I don't see anything wrong with going even completely vertical for a few seconds to manage your suit. I don't see any problem in breaking trim for a specific purpose if it makes you more comfortable. (I don't think this is quite what you were complaining about)

I like to dive with just enough air in my feet to let me wiggle my toes. It helps keep 'em warm, and it is about right for my trim. On the way up the line, that air in my toes expands, and I'll drop my feet to manage the air.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom