Drysuit diving in Maui in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divrnr

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this sounds funky, but the water temp around Maui is around 72-74 degrees in the winter. I was wondering about just wearing my trilam and light undergarments. I don't want to buy a 3mil since I always dive in So Cal. I was planning on mostly shore diving 3-4 times a day and wanted to keep my core temp up. Has anybody done that or will I look like a geek!!=-) hehehe... Thanks all, Joe.

but I think you may be on the receiving end of some very strange looks. :wink:

You only dive dry?

Yea, only dive dry... I guess I'll buy a 3mil:( and then sell it on ebay!=-) hehehe...renting one for a week will cost almost as much as buying one, hmmmm... I'll search ebay now. Thanks!

and you should keep it for other trips to warmer locations - Florida, Micronesia :) , etc.

I would think if you store it properly it should be ok for a reasonable amount of time.

Duuude!

How can you live in SoCal and not own a 3mm? Don't tell me you surf dry!

-Nudi(branch)

I just got back from Maui..... I went the first week on September.
The water was a cool 81 degrees!
You should have went in September..and YES you will seem like an alien from mars...BUY the 3mil...btw....A word of caution.....The BOX jelly fish were plentifull!....and keep your eyes open,,we saw a 14ft tiger shark on the way out to Molikini crater...I dove with a shop, called "scuba shack" TOTALLY A++++
crew.....

scubaguy90250 once bubbled...
I just got back from Maui..... I went the first week on September.
The water was a cool 81 degrees!

Are you nuts, diving in 81 degree water would be like diving in a giant hot tub for me. Of course I spend most of my dives off the coast of maine and massaschusetts in a seven mil wetsuit.
Just my .02$

Hi there...

You should be able to rent a 3 mil from Maui Dreams Dive Co for a week for about $20 - $25 -- double check by emailing or calling them.

If you want guided dives or advanced training Maui Dreams is an excellent source of both.

By the way -- do you need a buddy? I'll be on Maui starting December 19... I'm pretty experienced with the south shore shore dives...

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom