Drysuit + Cold Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I jumped in the pool this morning with the xm450's and my TLS350 to get a first impression and do a weight check. They are great! Mobility I would say is right on par with my 4th element Artics, and I don't have to worry about the top riding up while donning because it's a 1 piece. My 4th elements are 20lbs positive in just my drysuit, the xm450s are about 28. Not bad at all for the additional warmth. Hopefully I'll be in lake michigan tomorrow to test out how warm they actually are. So far I'm very pleased, and they're well worth the money.

Another really nice undergarment to take a look at is the Santi extreme 400.... good stuff. For water that cold though you might need to put on a vest as well.

"I want to know if with the right type of undergarment such Weezle Extreme Plus and a base layer, if I can do a 60 - 70 minutes dive with a trilam without feeling the cold. I have to mention that the temperature here year long is 34 F (1.11 C)."
Different divers have different tolerances for cold, but I do dives such as the one you describe all the time. I'm in a DUI 450 with a Weezle Extreme+ undergarments, Weezle booties, and drygloves. While some divers regard it as a placebo, when we use helium dive mixes we also use argon in the suits - which we perceive to be warmer even if it is just a placebo effect! I think that with the proper undergarments a DUI TLS350 would work just as well, and offer a bit more reach and flexibility. YMMV.

Did just shy of an hour today with 37F bottom temp in the xm450's with a base layer of only nylon shorts, a long sleeve underarmor top, lightweight wool running socks, and the stock yellow glove liners. I was toasty warm for the entire dive. On deco my hands started to get just a little cold. Overall I'm extremely happy. I could have spent much longer on the bottom in the xm450's. Next time I'm going to try some wool glove liners.

Last edited:
Bear CT200 Polarwear, Bear NST crushed neoprene, dry gloves venting through wrist seals to suit, wool socks and Argon gas. Use a little extra weight. My son has the same and he is bigger and stronger and younger so twin steels keep him weighted down. This allows for more Argon in the suit.

I cannot do a safe shut down and I can only carry either 1 steel 130 with a 'H' valve or twin aluminums. I prefer the 130 and a 40 deco.

The suit is very bulky so I have installed a "slob nob". If my second stage reg begins to free flow I can do a controlled shut down with the "slob nob" and head to shallow water. My deco at 41% O2 lets me in at 80 feet. Upon free flow I call the dive.

Back
Top Bottom