Drysuit class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau:
Yep, this course is for the "drysuit specialty" and results in a C card. My original post is exactly the training we received with no exageration. I didn't think this type of training was that unusual and only reported it to say that I should've saved my money and continued to learn on my own with my brother in law. I'll wait and see what happens at the quarry on Saturday, because I could be totally wrong (although I believe not). I'm not thinking of reporting them to PADI or asking for a refund. Rather, as I've already started to do, use a different dive shop and different organization (like my Nitrox is with TDI). Like I said earlier, I have a couple of drysuit dives in, but am hoping that the other 6 people who took this class with no dives at all will be ok. For them, I'm hoping that the 1st dive will be a surface swim out to the platforms and then a 20' - 25' descent.

Ultimately, it is your decision, but if you do not report an instructor to the training agency who is certifying people in violation of standards and procedures, you are doing a disservice to the agency, to yourself and to all other divers that may experience your same fate. In a worst case scenario, if these divers are not properly trained and end up with a huge air bubble in their feet that develops into an uncontrolled ascent (because they were not trained how to take care of the simple problem) PADI will find out what you could have told them anyhow, but thats only after an injury or accident. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REPORT THIS in the commentary section when you send in your card at least if not sooner.

scubamate:
You do not need a drysuit certification to buy a dry suit! Is it recommended? Absolutley! I said earlier, the LDS I instruct for throws in the dry suit specialty when you buy your suit from them. If an LDS will not sell you a dry suit go somewhere else as it seems they have enough business already and don't need yours.

Bill if you read what I wrote you would see that I said RENT not buy. I to work for a shop up here in Canada and we do the same thing, if a person buys a dry suit from us we take them out diving to show them how to use the suit as well as how to take care of it.

When I started diving drysuits 25 or so years ago (ok, so i've been diving since a little urchin) there was no such thing as a drysuit instruction class. I mean, what the hell is there to figure out?! Isn't it all rather obvious?

Gee, what are they going to come up with next, a manta ray awareness specialty and a peak performance bouyancy specialty class?!?!?! Oops! They already have it. Now we just need some emroidered patches to put on us like some sort of over the hill boyscout badges. Oops, they already have em!

How about a peak snorkel performance specialty class, a peak glove donning performance specialty class, and a peak performance I'm whizzing in my pathetic wetsuit to keep warm specialty class?

hardhat:
Bill if you read what I wrote you would see that I said RENT not buy. I to work for a shop up here in Canada and we do the same thing, if a person buys a dry suit from us we take them out diving to show them how to use the suit as well as how to take care of it.

We take people out and show them how to use them when they rent, when they buy, they get the class and the c-card.

ReBreatherDave,
The cat's out of the bag, I was in the process of writing course discriptions for the first two and a specialty in tank decorating.

RebreatherDave:
...How about a peak snorkel performance specialty class, a peak glove donning performance specialty class, and a peak performance I'm whizzing in my pathetic wetsuit to keep warm specialty class?

I think the peak snorkel performance specialty is PADI's Discover Snorkeling program :lol3: Maybe they give a patch for it :wink:

francousteau:
Yep, this course is for the "drysuit specialty" and results in a C card. My original post is exactly the training we received with no exageration. I didn't think this type of training was that unusual and only reported it to say that I should've saved my money and continued to learn on my own with my brother in law. I'll wait and see what happens at the quarry on Saturday, because I could be totally wrong (although I believe not). I'm not thinking of reporting them to PADI or asking for a refund. Rather, as I've already started to do, use a different dive shop and different organization (like my Nitrox is with TDI). Like I said earlier, I have a couple of drysuit dives in, but am hoping that the other 6 people who took this class with no dives at all will be ok. For them, I'm hoping that the 1st dive will be a surface swim out to the platforms and then a 20' - 25' descent.

It's unfortunate that you "don't think this type of training was that unusual", because it IS. (I speak as a long time drysuit diver and PADI Instructor who also happens to teach the Specialty.)

A drysuit is NOT just a passive piece of equipment like a pair of fins that you can just put on & use. It takes training to learn to use it safely & effectively.

Frankly, if you don't report the offending party to PADI, you are helping perpetuate the type of instruction you claim to despise.

But the decision is yours.

Bonne chance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom