Drysuit Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... after some looking... if I think I can afford it, I might get a White's PolarFlex...

- ChillyWaters

About the Nex-Gen: I have one too and only a dozen dives on it but it's kept me dry and warm, however, I noticed that I couldn't reach my valves in it. See this thread about flexibility issues with the Nex-Gen: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=132646

Here's one comment from the thread: "I had the exact same problem [reduced mobility/flexibility] in my Nex Gen... It felt like I was diving in pajamas swithcing over to a TLS 350. Sorry no answers for ya.... I'ld say it's normal for the Nex Gen"

It's a good suit for the money, but buyers should be aware that it may have some shortcomings compared to some other suits.

Have you bought the suit yet? I just ask because I have seen some amazing deals on second hand setups like this I am tempted to buy for a back up.

greatwhitepike:
Have you bought the suit yet? I just ask because I have seen some amazing deals on second hand setups like this I am tempted to buy for a back up.

I think I'm getting the PolarFlex... and nope, I haven't bought it yet. White's is ordering in another size to see if it fits better. The large fits fairly well, but we're also going to try an MT...

I have big legs, as I'm a runner, and I think the stretchy neoprene bottoms might be a good option for me. The stretchiness is good for when I bend down, etc. That's my thoughts anyways.

- ChillyWaters

Good luck then! Now I have to rack my brains to decide if I can blow 500 on a back up. Boy this guy has it set up good undies,pockets,p-valve its a damn good deal.

Sounds like you've got your mind made up, but FWIW I dive a Bare Nex Gen with CT-200 and I love it. Got it as a package deal from Divetank.com in BC last year (although later upgraded to the CT-200). I haven't noticed any flexibility issues, and the build is solid. I've gotten knocked about the rocky shoreline of Lake Superior by waves/surge a fair bit this winter just trying to exit after a dive on a windy day but no tears. Tuff stuff.

PS re: flexibility
I did have a freeflow once this winter and had to shut the valve down after reaching surface (single tank) and did it in 2-3' chop without much difficulty.

beezwax:
PS re: flexibility
I did have a freeflow once this winter and had to shut the valve down after reaching surface (single tank) and did it in 2-3' chop without much difficulty.

I have yet to try on the NexGen... I was scheduled to get check it out at DiveTank, but I didn't have time (was in Van for a conference).

However, being a runner, I have a different build -- especially compared to most divers. I have big legs, and a smaller upper body. With the Nexus, there is just no standard size that fits me. Either the legs are too tight, or the upper body is way too loose.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
I have yet to try on the NexGen... I was scheduled to get check it out at DiveTank, but I didn't have time (was in Van for a conference).

However, being a runner, I have a different build -- especially compared to most divers. I have big legs, and a smaller upper body. With the Nexus, there is just no standard size that fits me. Either the legs are too tight, or the upper body is way too loose.

- ChillyWaters

I think the legs in the NexGen are quite roomy...it's a baggy shell laminate, but try it on of course. The NexGen actually comes in FIFTEEN different sizes right off the rack:

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=21010&pf_id=61310

I've got a large-tall and it's just right. Another thing to consider is that Bare will do "made to measure" drysuits for you if you really are that difficult to fit. This isn't available for the NexGen as it is their entry-level suit, but is an option for all their other drysuits.

Back
Top Bottom