Drysuit Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I'm looking at buying a new drysuit.

The choices seem to be a Whites Nexus shell or a Bare Nex Gen. I'm considering getting an all-in-one deal (hood, underwear, drysuit -- and the trek boots in the case of the Nex Gen).

Anybody have experience with these in our waters, or have any general advice on those looking to finally upgrade.

My one concern is regarding the toughness of the suits for diving at the breakwater. I've dove there a couple times where the exit hasn't been exactly elegant, climbing up on the steps, especially if there is some nice wave action. Is puncturing the suit really much of a concern? And is either suit more durable?

Thanks.

- ChillyWaters

I highly recommend the Bare Nex Gen. For what it's worth, it is what I use. I haven't used any other shell suits.

As for toughness, one of the instructors I learned from put over 200 dives on the Nex Gen without any wear problems.

Cheers,
Bill.

I don't know anything about the Bare suits, but I do know a bit about Whites, the Nexus is a OK suit for the price. I know that most LDS sell it for around a $1000.00 I own a Catalyst myself, which is Whites top of the line suit. The material on the Catalyst is much stronger than the one on the Nexus. I have about 200 dives on the suit so far and I had to change the zipper($400.00) and the neck and wrist latex seal
($130) but that normal tear and wear. Overall I'm happy with the Whites, is it the best I ever owned "no" the Vikings that I had previously were better suit. By the way if you buy a Whites wait for the special they have every year(the truck sell). A Catalyst that $2399.00 will be at least $1000 less. I know I got mine for $1399.00

Cheers

Al

The NexGen is an entry level drysuit that is good value for the price. I use one in the Great Lakes and have been happy with it. Divetank have good deals on the suit and have a location in Burnaby B.C.

grf88:
The NexGen is an entry level drysuit that is good value for the price. I use one in the Great Lakes and have been happy with it. Divetank have good deals on the suit and have a location in Burnaby B.C.

Yeah, I saw that and dansdiveshop.ca (in St. Catherine's). I figure I can perhaps entice a local dive shop to give me a deal. I'd definitely prefer to support a local dive shop. But, being a broke student, there are limits to my support.

Dan's Dive Shop has the Bare Nex Gen, hood, Trek boots, CT200 underwear, etc. for $999. That's cheaper than the drysuit alone locally (according to GOA's website). I have yet to wander into Frank White's. I heard they are opening up today though -- hopefully they are still in good spirits after the fire.

- ChillyWaters

Í want to make the switch this season too. I'm considering Whites or Bare at this point. DUI is out of my price range unless I can find a factory second or used suit. I'm also considering the DiveRite 905; I need to do more research first.

Al - Is that price for the package or just the suit itself?

SeanQ:
Al - Is that price for the package or just the suit itself?

Just for the suit Sean, I already had an underwear and I install two pockets from DUI because I don't like the one from Whites.The DiveRite 905 is a nice suit, but only come with back entry, I perfer a self entry suit.

Well, I made a deal with a shop in Vancouver and will decide by next week whether or not to go forward. It sounds like a hard-to-beat deal.

Bare Nex Gen, Bare CT200 underwear, additional fleece, Trek boots, gloves or mitts, and hood for $995.

People seem very happy with the suit on this board.

I'll mull it over on the weekend, and probably order next week. Ohhh... it's so exciting.

- ChillyWaters

Chillywaters: That's a very good price!

I dive the nexgen with the 200 weight undies and I like it, fwiw :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom