Drysuit cert dive -- Near panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've felt anxious twice in my diving experiences but managed to avoid panic. I think one reason is because as an asthmatic, I grew-up with those feelings of constricted breathing. I used to describe it as feeling like someone was sitting on your chest. There were times when I panicked and my mother would tell me to calm down. If I couldn't - I would wind-up at the emergency room for treatment. When I did learn to control it, it would just go away. Eventually, I learned to control it without the use of the inhaler on most ocassions.

I heard the stories about people with asthma dying during diving, so I took diving very slowly and set goals. I would not go below 30 feet until I stayed down at least 40 minutes, no uncontrolled ascents, successful safety stops on every dive and no asthma. I had some asthma early-on and I wasn't sure if it was the cold water of California, the exercise or the stress. Eventually, I figured out it must have been the stress because I was able to achieve my goals even in cold water.

My first dive below 65 feet was in the warmer water of the Sea of Cortez. It was just me and a dive master. Fully enjoying the dive, about 30 minutes into it, began feeling like I wasn't getting enough air. The dive master was keeping a swift pace and I felt it was getting harder to keep-up. I had just had my reg serviced, so I thought either the depth is causing the regulator (ScubaPro) to breathe differently or maybe they put the setting to "minimum" instead of the "maximum" where I had it. I thought about taking the reg out of my mouth and checking, but since I was feeling anxious, decided to just stop and take a heading on the dive master with my compass. I figured - I am getting air, maybe not as much as my body wants right now, but if I slow it down and relax, my body will stop demanding more. I decided to heck with the dive master, he'll come back, I'm just going to take care of me. It wasn't long before I started feeling better and slowly started kicking towards the direction of the dive master who was out of sight at that point. He finally had turned around and was looking for me. After the dive, I checked the reg on the surface and sure-enough the reg had been re-set to minimum. I think I did the right thing; however, with more experience now, I would not hesitate as much to switch-over to my Air2 and check the reg. I now set my reg closer to minimum on a regular basis and the reg doesn't seem to breathe any differently at different depths.

Second time I felt anxiousness was in a dry suit on a safety stop. No idea what was causing it as there was nothing unusual going on. I had certainly been in other circumstances that would have given me more reason for the anxious feelings. For some reason, I wanted to head to the surface, but didn't. I just kept my normal slow ascent and fought off the anxiousness. When I got to the surface and removed the reg from my mouth I had asthma when diving for the first time in years. I couldn't tell while I was underwater. I hung out at the bow of the boat to wait for it to subside, giving the OK sign to the boat. I told my buddy to go ahead and swim for the stern. I'm still hanging out there and the dive master on the boat calls to me asking if I need help. I say I'm having asthma, just give me a couple of minutes and I'll be fine. He's hanging off the edge of the boat ready to jump in and save me. I had to tell him several times it wasn't necessary. By the time I swam to the back the boat and climbed up on my own - the rumors were already flying that someone had to jump in and save me. Really urked me! Whether they jumped in or not, I planned to stop diving for the day. Everything was fine the next day and no more problems. The lesson for me on this one is - if I start feeling anxious for no apparent reason, I might be having asthma. In that case, not only do I need to keep the ascent very slow (which I always do anyway), but I plan to breathe out very hard and cough to expel any air that might be trapped by the mucus forming in the lungs.

Never been bothered by suit squeeze. Once I forgot to hook-up the air hose to the suit, but decided to wait to get to the bottom at about 70 feet to hook-up the hose. The biggest problem with squeeze for me is the lack of mobility. I dive one of those 6.5 mil crushed neoprene jobs - very thick suit.

Karen

ianr33:
I dont see how a drysuit squeeze can make breathing difficult.Sure its uncomfortable but the pressure inside and outside the suit will be the same, its not as if the water pressure is "pressing your chest in" or anything.

Please correct me if I am wrong in this.

Do this test. Take a plastic bag and put it over your arm. Now stick your arm in water - a pool would be good. You will start to feel the squeeze. Now, imagine a much thicker material and the sqeeze even greater as you go deeper. The suit cannot equalize like a wet suit because it is not being equalized to the pressure around it by letting the water in. The air that is in the suit is being compressed almost effectively to the point of non-existence. It's like being vacuum-packed by one of those food things you buy at WalMart.

Colliam7:
Curious about why you decided to do a DS certification, before you bought your own suit. I did the certification, but only because I bought a suit. Makes me wonder if more people than I realize rent drysuits. No hidden agenda in asking the question, BTW.

Neck seals that are too tight are most unpleasant. I can see an operator not wanting to trim seals on a rental suit, hence my curiosity about the prevalence of DS renting. I have often worried about possible syncopal episodes somehow associated with carotid compression (this concern arises from how I feel when I try on a new suit, or after neck seal replacement, before trimming). But, the bottom line is tight neck seals make me feel like my head is going to explode.

You make some excellent points, but it's also hard to determine ahead of time which dry suit will fit your desires because there are different types of dry suits and different types of neck and wrist seals. The most ideal situation would be to at least be able to try out a dry suit in the pool first before buying it. Those kind of shops can be hard to find. My LDS told me I would want neoprene neck seals - WRONG - hated it, had mine switched out to latex (I don't believe they make rubber ones). You can't cut neoprene seals, but you can cut the latex ones. I chose the thicker neoprene type because even if it leaks - I can still dive and still be warmer than my wet suit. I've had it completely flood - and still made five more dives within the next 2 days. LDS also told me I wouldn't need much undergarmet thermal protection, but I eventually bought it and it's much warmer with it, but I lost some flexibility. But I have enough to do everything I need to do.

Karen

do it easy:
The other day, I had a similar experience that I couldn't breathe underwater, but it wasn't suit squeeze. We were ice diving at the local quarry. The ice was 8" thick, but was receding from the shore, so we were able to break enough of it up that we could just walk in. Actually, we didin't do any work, but extend our gratitude to the DMs and instructors who were teaching an ice diving class. :)

Anyhow, after the dive, I was sitting on the ice, resting with my feet in the water. I took off my fins, hood, and mask. As I stood up to walk back to the truck, I slipped and fell right back into the hole. My wing and drysuit were nearly empty, so my steel doubles turtled me right away. I opened my eyes and everything was fuzzy, so I knew I was underwater. The slope was steep at the entry, and I could feel myself sliding down it and under the ice. I tried to right myself, but the doubles were too heavy. I realized I wasn't in the best of situatons, so I put my bungeed backup in my mouth and tried to breathe- I didn't get water, but I wasn't get much air since I was facing upwards. My situation was now only marginally better. I finally managed to flip myself over and I was able to breathe and crawl out of the ice hole. The worst part was the instant brain freeze- it felt like the water froze to my head by the time I got back to the truck. Sadly, something similar happened to me the last time, but it was because I fell in and had too much air in my drysuit- the suit wanted to float, but the tanks wanted to sink. :)

:11: not good man.... glad you're okey

As long as we're going over DORKY Dives,

I remember during my intro to cave class, I had just learned to dive a Drysuit in OW and thought I would be ok.

Well, everything was fine until I started to do my secondary tie off. I was in a feet high position, and I was getting squeeze, so I figured: "Hey, let's pump some air in the suit.." Big mistake. My feet shot to the ceiling, a cloud of silt came raining down, and I was looking at my reel safely tied off to a rock while I was 4 feet from it upside down. I looked at my instructor, and I swear he was giggling (although he denies it). I was trying to "jump" down to my reel by pushing off the ceiling, but I was in a reverse gravity situation. So there I was, standing in Peacock with limited vis, no reel in hand, and the only thing I could think of was that Lionel Ritchie song "Dancing on the ceiling"

Yeah I felt like a Dork!!

Cheers

Mike

Sometimes I think people teach diving because it's more entertaining than comedy clubs . . .

Fish_Whisperer:
Well, I wanted the specialty cert, and I wanted the experience. I am considering buying a drysuit, but that's a lot of money to invest on something I hadn't tried, first.

Are you heading down to DUI's Demo Day & DOG Rally on March 31 at Bluewater (Pelham, AL)? They'll have lots of different types of drysuits available to try, and the seals should be sized more appropriately, as they have so many suits/interchangeable zip seals available. Plus, they'll have instructors to dive with non-drysuit certified divers.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom