drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about finally throwing in towel and going to buy a drysuit after always diving wet. Not that my wetsuit is cold because I am still warm diving with it in cold water the problem is surface intervals would sure feel better if I was dry and not have to do battle with the frigid wind at 28 degrees. my question is how good does your drysuit have to fit? I know a wetsuit has to be a great fit. I have dove with perfect fit wetsuit and one that wasn't and the results were very different but my buddy who dives drysuit all the time says that the drysuit doesn't have to be perfect...Sooooooooo is a drysuit ok if it is a little loose or a little tight or a little tall???

Will charge an extra 200 bucks to have the suit modified to fit you (customizing). But some suits can't be altered ... in which case you absolutely have to try it on to really know. There is some forgiveness and tolerance in a "good fit". But after safety, comfort should be your next concern - nothing beats hands on. Like wetsuits most drysuit mfg make standard sizes, and modifications go from there.

Scuba show is being held as part of Outdoor show in Toronto, Feb 21-23. I heard a rumour that they will have a pool and drysuits to try. Might be your best opportunity to try different types and get info. from various suppliers...

definitely don't want it tight. A lot of manufactures these days do custom suits as a matter of course.

Before heading out think how you might want to use it. I use mine all year round so it has to be comfortable in shorts and t shirt as well as with a polartec underneath (actually haven't used that for almost 2 years now....) which is one of the reasons I went with a membrane suit. Oh yes and it was cheap in a shop clearenance and fitted me.....

Good advise - check round the show....

Jonathan

Rooster1 once bubbled...
I am seriously thinking about finally throwing in towel and going to buy a drysuit after always diving wet.

Bout time, Guy. As you say an SI @ 28F is BITTER!
...my buddy who dives drysuit all the time says that the drysuit doesn't have to be perfect...Sooooooooo is a drysuit ok if it is a little loose or a little tight or a little tall???

You need room to handle the maximum undergarments you'd wear and still be able to move comfortably. When they're "a little tight" you're going to stress the seams, which can result in leakage and/or failure. A little tall...depends where the excess is. My viking is a little tall, but the excess is in the legs and that's not a problem. If "a little tall" is in the torso, I don't know what issues that might raise, other than acting like a sail in the St. Clair river. :D

Let me tell you, though, you'll LOVE diving dry.

A Little long in the arms (and a smidgen in the legs) is good for flexibility... you should be able reach back to your valves without the suit coming tight and you should be able to bend your legs up behind you heel to butt.

A smidgen extra length in the torso is OK but the crotch should not hang low or it will restrict your leg movement out to the side... you don't need to be able to do the splits but it is nice to be able to frog kick.

My Andy's trilam is too long in the torso but my crotch strap takes care of that and it is too long in the leg so when I get my boots changed I plan to have the legs shortened.

Extra width is not good... it will just make the suit an gas bag.

Feb. edition of Divermag.com confirmed will have 20 x 40 heated pool to try gear in. More info. available at www.outdooradventureshow.ca Ph. 1-800-891-4859.
Also will have numerous seminars/workshops- bound to be one on exposure suits....

Show in Toronto Feb.21-23 International Centre
Show in Vancouver Feb 14-16 BC Place.

Good hunting...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom