Drycase for photo equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astrl

Contributor
Reaction score
What size dry case should I need for an Olympus 5050/PT-015 and a Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe? Is there a particular brand that people recommend?

astrl

If you are talking about hard cases, the first that comes to mind is Pelican brand. I think the 1550 is deep enough for the PT-015. There are several brands of hard cases that will protect your rig.

For traveling, I use a camera backpack. I got tired of the weight and bulk of the Pelican case. I now use a Lowepro Trim Trekker backpack. I can actually get more stuff in the backpack than I could the old Pelican. It's comfortable to carry and I'm not likely to leave it somewhere!

I just picked up a pelican 1550. I had bought a 1450 but it just wasn't deep enough to put the pt-015 in at any angle. The 1550 was bigger than i was hoping for but it will fit it comfortably and now i have to buy a wide angle lens and a strobe or two to fill the extra space. I'd feel guilty lugging that thing around and not have it filled up.

steve

astrl once bubbled...

Isn't it a problem that it is not waterproof?

astrl

The canvas material it's made from is water resistant. If it gets rained on or something similar, water rolls off it. I don't need anything waterproof just to carry it around in. If my camera is near water, it's inside the housing.

If you are traveling via airplane and you plan to check your camera, you'll want something like a Pelican for the protection. My camera gear is never checked, it goes as carry-on. For that, the back-pack is perfect. For storage at home, I have a set of shelves with plastic storage boxes where everything has a place yet is easy to retrieve and use quickly!

Back
Top Bottom