Dry throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Nice Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

Just did my first 3 OW dives on the way to certification. This happened to be the longest at one time that I breathed through the regulator. The regulator is new. It is a SP MK25/S600.
The next day my throat was very sore. I noticed it was dry breathing using the regulator. Is that normal, not the sore throat, but the dry breathing. Is there anything that helps aleviate the after affects?

Thanks
Nick

HI Nick,

As you know the compressed air in your SCUBA tank is dry compared to the air we normally breathe. This dries out your mouth and throat. The best way to deal with this is to be well hydrated prior to diving(which also helps prevent DCI). The are various devices one can buy that allow you to a moisture to the air(certain regulators) or SCUDA(self contained underwater drinking apparatus).

Try doing a search for SCUDA on this site or dry mouth. There have been a couple of threads in the past about this. You can get more info that way.

I found that dry mouth or throat is less of a problem when I am breathing slowly and in a relaxed easy manner. This will come with time for you as you continue to dive.

I think you get used to it. The experienced divers that I dive with don't notice it anymore. I find that it is bothering me less and less. If it becomes too uncomfortable, just practice clearing your regulator, or blow some bubble rings. Of course I dive fresh water.

Hi Mr. Nice Guy.

.... may wish to consider. As you can see, some are cheaper than others, so you might wish to experiment before buying a special reg/moisturizing filter:

1. Purchase a reg with "moisturizing fins" in the second stage, such as the Oasis & Blizzard made by Sherwood.

2. Purchase the Apollo reg which has a "moisturizing chamber" into which you place a small, damp sponge. Or, an Apollo Biofilter http://www.apollosportsusa.com/biofilter-info.html.

3. Purchase a "Scuda," or a "Camel-back," nifty little diver's canteens which allow you a squirt of fresh water when you want it.

4. Pop a "Jolly Rancher," "Tic-Tac," or the like into your mouth before you enter, but tuck it between your gum & cheek to prevent choking on it.

5. Tickle the roof of your mouth with your tongue, or run it along your teeth, as this will trigger salivation.

6. Rub a very small bit of toothpaste in your mouthpiece prior to entry.

7. Make sure you stay very well hydrated during the entire dive trip.

8. Take a long, cool, drink just before entering the water.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom