Dry suits for "travel size" (ie. short!) "fluffy" woman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgugler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey ladies!

So I'm jumping in and getting my dry suit certification next week in Seattle! Yay! My instructor has a L/XL White Fusion suit I could borrow, and according to their size chart, would fit me, except for the height. It is listed for 5'9-6'1 and I'm 5'3. He's worried I'll have bubble problems. I'm going to call around some of the shops and see if they have anything for rent that fits better, but has anybody dealt with this issue before? Buying a custom suit is not an option right now. I'm just starting a new job, and $$$ is tight. (On the plus side this job is much more physically active, so hopefully I'll lose some fluff!) :D

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Rachel

From what I've heard from some of my small female buddies (around 5'-4" and maybe 120 pounds), the outer skin of the Fusion suit sucks in all the excess "bag" of the suit, making even the L/XL manageable. Both women I'm referencing own S/M suits, which they normally wear, but have husbands with L/XL suits that function as back-up suits for them on occasion.

Obviously, it would be ideal to the the S/M size when you're ready to purchase, but for learning, I imagine the larger suit would be alright. I'd definitely look to buy the smaller suit if you decide you like the Fusion -- it's a very nice suit that's reasonably inexpensive.

Oh believe me, I'd love to have a S/M! :d I'm just 10 pounds and a few inches over the waist and hip sizing for the S/M, so with a little more exercise, it will become a possibility. I was doing so well losing weight until this horrible heat wave hit Kansas. Seattle will seem quite chilly, and Alaska bordering on frigid after a month of 100+ degree weather and no rain!

I'm 5'4", and I dive Peter's suit as my own backup, and I've never noticed bubble problems.

So you think I would be ok using it? I haven't called any other dive shops yet, I'm still running around like crazy getting ready to fly out tomorrow morning, so I don't really have time to look up and call a bunch of shops until Friday. I've looked at other dry suit brand size charts, and they all are pretty much the same. You are magically supposed to grow taller the wider you are! :banghead:

Hi, I'm not much help as I just started diving the Fusion -- but my S/M suit is a bit large in the shoulder area and I have no problem with bubble management. I am on the line between the XS/S and the S/M and went with the large because of my personal need to wear a huge amount of layers. So far I have had no issues with bubble management as a new drysuit diver and had to really work at getting the bubble to roll around on the shoulders during class.

I absolutely love, love, love the suit! I seem to be happier with it than my buddies who are diving the trilams this summer.

BTW, I love the term "travel sized," very funny, :D

rgugler used the L/XL suit and had no problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom