Dry suits and Dettol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I asked the question to the dive master/owner of my local dive shop on how he cleans his rented wet and dry suits. He said he uses Dettol on both. I can understand the wet suit, but is this really a good idea for the dry suit? He said he simply soaks the suits in a tube for about 10 minutes and then rinses them very well afterwards. Yes, he confirmed that this includes his dry suits and even his BCDs inside out. I paid a lot of money for my dry and do not want to ruin it. I looked at other cleaning techniques on this forum, but can't find any answers regarding Dettol and dry suits. He seams to think that Dettol is the best of the best.

Does anyone have a comment on this?

Googled it, toxic no contact with mouth or nasal inhalation, toxic to fish, used to kill toads...
I'd think about not using it.

Sent from an undisclosed location using Tapatalk.

Put the drysuit into a bath with tepid warm water and leave to soak for an hour.

Use a shower attachment to flush water into the drysuit vent valve - open and close the valve while you do this.

Flush the other valve with the shower head for a minute or two.

After an hour or so, turn the drysuit inside out and leave to hang dry by the boots and then talc your seals.

This should give the drysuit a reasonably good clean - I wouldn't use any cleaners for a drysuit personally.

Back
Top Bottom