Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkrock

Registered
Reaction score
I have just used a drysuit for the first time the other day. I found that the air moved around A LOT! Now I was using a Trilaminate........ Do the other drysuits have air movement as much??? It was like diving in a big bag and the air always went to the top and either made my arms big or legs etc.... I know the physics behind it all but I want to hear some opinions. I'm not asking what is a better suit and such, more looking at the types of materials (neoprene, crushed) and how much the air moves around in that type of suit.
Also, is there any tricks, tips to minimize the movement of air?
Thanks in advance!!!
tk

Possibilities,

You had too much air in the suit or the suit was too big.

Yes, in a dry suit, you will learn how to manage another air space. This takes time and practice.

Put just enough air in the suit to take off the squeeze. You will feel the air move around. You will learn what to do when your feet fill. Gaiters help prevent this, but not completely.

Keep practicing.

TwoBit

tkrock:
I have just used a drysuit for the first time the other day. I found that the air moved around A LOT! Now I was using a Trilaminate........ Do the other drysuits have air movement as much??? It was like diving in a big bag and the air always went to the top and either made my arms big or legs etc.... I know the physics behind it all but I want to hear some opinions. I'm not asking what is a better suit and such, more looking at the types of materials (neoprene, crushed) and how much the air moves around in that type of suit.
Thanks in advance!!!
tk

Mostly it comes down to fit and technique. The better the suit fits, the less room there is for air to move about. Only adding enough air to prevent squeeze and using your primary bouyancy device for bouyancy helps as well. Maintaining a horizontal trim position will prevent the "air in the arms, squeeze in the feet"

Material type can play a role, but not directly (in fit). The neoprene and crushed neoprene suits will stretch slightly, and may afford a better fit than the trilams which won't stretch at all.

Once you've limited the impact of those two characteristics (fit and technique), it is really just a matter of getting used to the way diving dry feels.
Excessive air in the feet can be reduced using things such as gaiters, but I feel they just cover up the problem (fit or technique) instead of solve it.

If you had that much air, you were compensating for drastic overweighting. When you're weighted well, you won't really have that much air to deal with... and if you use your BC for buoyancy control, you can keep that air in your BC bladder instead of moving around inside the drysuit.

tkrock:
Thanks in advance!!!
tk

As others have stated, the primary reasons for this are ...

1. using drysuit for buoyancy control instead of BCD
2. being overweighted
3. wearing a drysuit that fits poorly

There are simple fixes for 1 and 2. But if the suit doesn't fit right, and you own it, the fix may end up costing you some $$.

For the first, as you've already noticed, air tends to shift around in your drysuit more than it does in your BCD. That can be remedied by using your BCD for buoyancy control, and only leaving enough air in your suit to prevent squeeze. Many agencies teach using the drysuit for buoyancy control because ... in theory ... it simplifies the number of air spaces you have to control as you change depth. In practice, using your BCD for bouyancy control isn't any more difficult than using your drysuit. The trick is to leave your dump valve (assuming it's in the standard left-shoulder configuration) almost completely open. Then, when you raise your BCD inflator hose to vent, the drysuit will dump excess air automatically.

For the second, perform a weight check. There are several ways to do this. My preferred method is to do it at the end of a dive, with about 500 psi in your cylinder. At a depth of about 10 feet, establish neutral bouyancy and hover without moving while breathing normally. If you are properly weighted, you will have no air in your BCD, and only enough in your suit to prevent squeeze. Now breathe out completely. You should sink. Breathe in completely, you should rise. If you let all the air out of your BCD and you sink while breathing normally, you are overweighted.

Finally, drysuit fit. A shell suit has no stretch, so by design there will be some extra material in the suit when you are standing ... to allow a full range of motion. Put on the undergarment and suit. Do a deep-knee bend. You should not be restricted to a full squatting position ... and you should have no excess material in the legs when you achieve this position. Excess material in the legs will trap air when you are diving, and this air will create buoyancy problems. Likewise in the torso, while standing see how far behind your head you can move your arms. You should be able to move them as far with the suit on as you can without. Look in a mirror at how the suit fits under your arms and in your upper torso. As you reach back, the material should come pretty close to tight. If at a full extension you have any bagging, the suit will trap air. If the suit restricts your range of motion, it's too small. Now check the boots. There should be adequate room for two pairs of socks (I prefer fleece, for warmth), but no more. Boots that are too big will cause floaty feet. Boots that are too small, or too tight, will cause cold feet.

If your suit doesn't fit properly, it can usually be modified. But it can be spendy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well it seems to me then I have a combination of over weight, which can be easily fixed with a few more fine dives. The second being a poorly fitted suit. I am borrowing this suit to learn with, but the person who owns it is a pinch smaller then me. I wonder if he has a true fit then or if it just really boils down to, to much weight.
The using the BCD for buoyancy I was told not to go their until I mastered the suit itself. Why? Because of the controlling two air bladders and if a situation were to occur, chances are I would not have time to play with both this early in the game of learning. I'll just keep diving away and just try to remember that I'm a student again!

Thanks, Bob... It is very informative input.

NWGratefulDiver:
As others have stated, the primary reasons for this are ...

1. using drysuit for buoyancy control instead of BCD
2. being overweighted
3. wearing a drysuit that fits poorly

There are simple fixes for 1 and 2. But if the suit doesn't fit right, and you own it, the fix may end up costing you some $$.

For the first, as you've already noticed, air tends to shift around in your drysuit more than it does in your BCD. That can be remedied by using your BCD for buoyancy control, and only leaving enough air in your suit to prevent squeeze. Many agencies teach using the drysuit for buoyancy control because ... in theory ... it simplifies the number of air spaces you have to control as you change depth. In practice, using your BCD for bouyancy control isn't any more difficult than using your drysuit. The trick is to leave your dump valve (assuming it's in the standard left-shoulder configuration) almost completely open. Then, when you raise your BCD inflator hose to vent, the drysuit will dump excess air automatically.

For the second, perform a weight check. There are several ways to do this. My preferred method is to do it at the end of a dive, with about 500 psi in your cylinder. At a depth of about 10 feet, establish neutral bouyancy and hover without moving while breathing normally. If you are properly weighted, you will have no air in your BCD, and only enough in your suit to prevent squeeze. Now breathe out completely. You should sink. Breathe in completely, you should rise. If you let all the air out of your BCD and you sink while breathing normally, you are overweighted.

Finally, drysuit fit. A shell suit has no stretch, so by design there will be some extra material in the suit when you are standing ... to allow a full range of motion. Put on the undergarment and suit. Do a deep-knee bend. You should not be restricted to a full squatting position ... and you should have no excess material in the legs when you achieve this position. Excess material in the legs will trap air when you are diving, and this air will create buoyancy problems. Likewise in the torso, while standing see how far behind your head you can move your arms. You should be able to move them as far with the suit on as you can without. Look in a mirror at how the suit fits under your arms and in your upper torso. As you reach back, the material should come pretty close to tight. If at a full extension you have any bagging, the suit will trap air. If the suit restricts your range of motion, it's too small. Now check the boots. There should be adequate room for two pairs of socks (I prefer fleece, for warmth), but no more. Boots that are too big will cause floaty feet. Boots that are too small, or too tight, will cause cold feet.

If your suit doesn't fit properly, it can usually be modified. But it can be spendy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

tkrock:
I have just used a drysuit for the first time the other day. I found that the air moved around A LOT!

Id go with what others have said here. You have way too much air in your suit which means you are way overweighted. You shouldnt notice air migration at all in a suit.

The weighting can be "interesting". I tried a trilam, needed 40 pounds (a newbie, was just doing both OW and drysuit work). Bought my own compressed neoprene, suit felt great, still needed 40. Yesterday, fourth time with the new suit, I dropped to 32.
(I love the compressed neoprene, compared to trilam -- 40F water, just used a single layer of polypro and a bergelene t-shirt, quite comfortable; the 40 lb was when I had worn polartex, unnecessary for me at 40F)

I also get the feeling that the crushed neoprene makes a legs-up ascent less likely -- you just don't have the air space like a trilam does.

Back
Top Bottom